Could Zoe be ZACHARY? Late Blooming Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Jan 23, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Barred Rock chick Zoe is 8 weeks old and her older brother Gabriel is 13 weeks old. At four weeks, Gabe had a comb and wattles larger than Zoe's is at 8 weeks. This baby is making me sweat, typical of some of Lexie's kids since she was a cockerel-colored pullet herself that broke all the BR sexing rules. Zoe here is a fence sitter, I guess. Here is Zoe today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Compare her brother Gabriel at four weeks then at six weeks old, two weeks younger than Zoe in the above pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm thinking I have a late blooming cockerel or just one that didnt develop quite as early as its brother. What do you think?

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Well, I can be of absolutely no help, but she/he is a beautiful baby!

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    That comb is suspiciously large! But I don't see any other "trigger" for BOY!

I'm holding out at PULLET - perhaps a little princess with a crown [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm kind of thinking roo....are those tail feathers making their appearance? The comb sure does make me think roo.

5. speckledhen

Nope, no real tail feathers, no pointy saddles, just a slightly larger comb than some pullets, but nowhere as big as her brother's comb was at an even earlier age. Little androgynous baby. If this one is a roo, I'm going to cry because this is the friendliest little thing and Gabe is a bit of a wild child, not at all like any BR I've ever had in the past. He needs more handling, but Zoe is already a big pet. Hmm, maybe I could have three BR roosters? I mean, the laying flock is already up to 20 girls with more to come, so that should be enough for three handsome BR men, right?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here's a picture of my newest BR pullet. She's 17 weeks in this picture. [​IMG]

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    In your pics, it does look like those tail feathers are rooster-ish. Cynthia, how can you not know? It's just shocking, you are one of the best sexers, I'm feeling let down

8. speckledhen

Well, Zoe/Zachary has her beat in the comb dept, so that's why I'm leaning toward boy now. I recall one of Lexie's babies back in the spring that I thought was a girl for six weeks then suddenly the comb and wattles just popped out and it crowed. Bet this is another one of those. Usually, I know really quick on the BRs, but on occasion there'll be one that makes you guess awhile.

Katy, I love that rooster!

Here's Gabriel and Zoe's mother, Lexie, at 15 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

9. blueroo

blueroo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2007
    That is one suspicious bird. [​IMG]

Hope for hens!

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Thanks Cyn...he is the biggest sweetie and getting more handsome all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by