Countdown to Baby Chicks 2023 edition

Hatching eggs definitely counts! Maybe some standard Cochins…are they similar to the bantams? Keep us posted on your hatch!

I do have some large fowl Cochins as well. They're very different from the bantams, but not in a bad way! Big, lumbering, fluffy gentle giants as opposed to little, sassy, cuddly fluffballs. Love them both. :love I'll have to plan carefully if I do end up buying some chicks, though, as space is pretty limited beyond the Cochin bantams I intend to hatch and grow out, and I like to have a variety of egg colors to admire.

I sell started pullets. In a normal year, I sell 100+ but with the current egg situation I'm thinking that I should double my numbers.
Right now I have 2 orders in at Privett (closest hatchery). All good starter chickens. Easter eggers, olive eggers, lavender Orpington, Barnevelder, silver leghorn, black Australorp and assorted Wyandotte and marans. I just added an Ideal order of Russian orloff, Brabanter (my 2 favorites) and assorted P rocks. I plan on keeping 6-8 whichever are the "leftovers".
They will start showing up in 3 weeks. I like have them ready to sell in April/May as people are just starting to add chicks.

I sell started pullets. In a normal year, I sell 100+ but with the current egg situation I'm thinking that I should double my numbers.
Right now I have 2 orders in at Privett (closest hatchery). All good starter chickens. Easter eggers, olive eggers, lavender Orpington, Barnevelder, silver leghorn, black Australorp and assorted Wyandotte and marans. I just added an Ideal order of Russian orloff, Brabanter (my 2 favorites) and assorted P rocks. I plan on keeping 6-8 whichever are the "leftovers".
They will start showing up in 3 weeks. I like have them ready to sell in April/May as people are just starting to add chicks.
That’s a great idea! Would love to see pics when you get them!

I did! I choose to get chicks from Polaris Poultry, because they fly them up to Alaska via same day air cargo vs it taking days through the mail. I have a total of 4 "color pack layers", 4 rhode island reds, 4 silver laced sussex, and 4 barred rocks ordered! My goal is to keep 6-7 for myself, and sell the remainder of them once they're feathered out to a friend who wants to add to her flock but doesn't really know how to do chicks.

I will not be ordering this year. I'll be hatching eggs from my English Orps and a few mixes, selling pullets, and butchering some cockerels. I'll probably get some other hatching eggs from my fantastic breeder to add a few other colors of orps to my flock. I also want to keep a pullet from my English Orp cockerel and WTB (green eggs, big with face muffs who could resist :fl) I look forward to seeing all the chic pics!

I will not be ordering this year. I'll be hatching eggs from my English Orps and a few mixes, selling pullets, and butchering some cockerels. I'll probably get some other hatching eggs from my fantastic breeder to add a few other colors of orps to my flock. I also want to keep a pullet from my English Orp cockerel and WTB (green eggs, big with face muffs who could resist :fl) I look forward to seeing all the chic pics!
Ooh your mix egg hatch sounds FABULOUS.

I will be ordering here in the next few months, our local feed store takes the order then sends it to Cackle and Cackle ships it to the store. I will be getting 1 Salmon faverolle and 1 other breed that im not sure of yet. Then i will be getting 2 Welsh harlequins(Since they dont have blue swedish at the same time i will be getting mine). I will be getting them sometime between March 20th and April 1st.

I will be ordering here in the next few months, our local feed store takes the order then sends it to Cackle and Cackle ships it to the store. I will be getting 1 Salmon faverolle and 1 other breed that im not sure of yet. Then i will be getting 2 Welsh harlequins(Since they dont have blue swedish at the same time i will be getting mine). I will be getting them sometime between March 20th and April 1st.
I love Faverolles! What are the other breeds you are thinking about?

Ducks are on my list when we move…can’t have them…yet. When DS graduates we may move back to the farm & first on my list are ducks! ❤️

I have an order coming from Hoover’s the week of 2/21. I ordered Andalusians, Partridge Rocks, and Speckled Sussex.

I’m also trying to put together a hatch of my own to coincide as closely as possible to the same week as the shipped chicks will hatch. My “home brew” chicks will be Easter Eggers - the rooster is an Ameraucana/Oliver Egger cross, and my hens are Barred Rock, Delaware, Speckled Sussex, Sapphire Gem, and Ameraucana/Rock cross.

I love Faverolles! What are the other breeds you are thinking about?

Ducks are on my list when we move…can’t have them…yet. When DS graduates we may move back to the farm & first on my list are ducks! ❤️
Im not sure maybe another Orpington or a dark brahma, i would love a silkie or a cochin! I can only have 2 ducks where we live.

Back
Top Bottom