Countdown to Baby Chicks 2023 edition

I ordered day old chicks in December from Ideal. Arriving in February.

Cream brabanters, Welbars, Anconas, OE, EE, Blue Stars, 1 California White, 1 Ideal 236.

Also hatching some eggs but being mostly shipped eggs don’t have high hopes.

I’ll need to remove a couple of the chicks from my order before they ship or rehome them once they grow.
Have you had the brabanters or welbars before? If so, thoughts? Considering an order that includes both those breeds, which are new to me.

I sell started pullets. In a normal year, I sell 100+ but with the current egg situation I'm thinking that I should double my numbers.
Right now I have 2 orders in at Privett (closest hatchery). All good starter chickens. Easter eggers, olive eggers, lavender Orpington, Barnevelder, silver leghorn, black Australorp and assorted Wyandotte and marans. I just added an Ideal order of Russian orloff, Brabanter (my 2 favorites) and assorted P rocks. I plan on keeping 6-8 whichever are the "leftovers".
They will start showing up in 3 weeks. I like have them ready to sell in April/May as people are just starting to add chicks.
I think that is a very wise decision

I sell started pullets. In a normal year, I sell 100+ but with the current egg situation I'm thinking that I should double my numbers.
Right now I have 2 orders in at Privett (closest hatchery). All good starter chickens. Easter eggers, olive eggers, lavender Orpington, Barnevelder, silver leghorn, black Australorp and assorted Wyandotte and marans. I just added an Ideal order of Russian orloff, Brabanter (my 2 favorites) and assorted P rocks. I plan on keeping 6-8 whichever are the "leftovers".
They will start showing up in 3 weeks. I like have them ready to sell in April/May as people are just starting to add chicks.
Considering doing the same on a small scale this year. Basically selling off the ones I buy to avoid a small order fee. Any tips for IDing good breeds to purchase, setting price points, etc?

This was my favorite thread last year! Once you place a 2023 order, post the details! We can pass the time together! Once you get your new babies, let us know and post pics!

Where did you order from?

What did you order?

When will they hatch/how many weeks or months left?

I know it’s early…but I put 2 orders in for June next year already! 😂 I will live vicariously through all of you who get chicks long before that. School lets out here in June, so we get them when the kids (and teacher parents) can spend all day doting on them!
We got our girls from Blue House Farm in Fletcher NC! We got 1 black australorp, 1 barred rock and 1 buff Orpington! They are 2 days old and we just got them home!

Attachments

• 9FCAB980-1A03-497E-AF12-BF84E17BC75A.jpeg
    9FCAB980-1A03-497E-AF12-BF84E17BC75A.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 6
  • C8EC1906-1A60-4C21-916A-894EDB6BCCFC.jpeg
    C8EC1906-1A60-4C21-916A-894EDB6BCCFC.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom