Countdown to Baby Chicks 2023 edition

Pics
Considering doing the same on a small scale this year. Basically selling off the ones I buy to avoid a small order fee. Any tips for IDing good breeds to purchase, setting price points, etc?
I have an excellent feed store near by and got started by buying up the 4+ week old chicks that were outgrowing the battery brooder. Saved $$ by not feeding them for 4 weeks on top of not losing any. My priorities in selecting breeds are good beginner chickens, not prone to egg laying issues, decent layers, not broody, good for kids, colorful. Mostly DP breeds, no bantams, no fancies, no long tails, no meat birds, no roosters ( do not dupe a beginner with roosters just to get rid of them) no high production hybrids. Started with batches of 15-25 for a few years. No more work to raise 25 than 3 so even if I were just buying replacement birds for myself I would raise the extras to pay for mine. Just raising them until they are off heat, outside and to the point where you can identify the boys is worth an extra $10 in my book.
I live in the metro Denver area so there is a demand for chickens and started pullets eliminate the accidental cockerels which most cities don't allow. You will have close to $10 invested in each pullet by 10 weeks. 16-20 weeks will be more like $15. What's your market? Can you get $25-30 for a POL pullet? You are assuming the risk of loss and potential cockerels. That has to work into the price you charge. People might baulk at paying $30 for a chick you paid $5 for 15 weeks ago but they aren't figuring in the $200 in supplies you invested in to get them to that point.

I have an excellent feed store near by and got started by buying up the 4+ week old chicks that were outgrowing the battery brooder. Saved $$ by not feeding them for 4 weeks on top of not losing any. My priorities in selecting breeds are good beginner chickens, not prone to egg laying issues, decent layers, not broody, good for kids, colorful. Mostly DP breeds, no bantams, no fancies, no long tails, no meat birds, no roosters ( do not dupe a beginner with roosters just to get rid of them) no high production hybrids. Started with batches of 15-25 for a few years. No more work to raise 25 than 3 so even if I were just buying replacement birds for myself I would raise the extras to pay for mine. Just raising them until they are off heat, outside and to the point where you can identify the boys is worth an extra $10 in my book.
I live in the metro Denver area so there is a demand for chickens and started pullets eliminate the accidental cockerels which most cities don't allow. You will have close to $10 invested in each pullet by 10 weeks. 16-20 weeks will be more like $15. What's your market? Can you get $25-30 for a POL pullet? You are assuming the risk of loss and potential cockerels. That has to work into the price you charge. People might baulk at paying $30 for a chick you paid $5 for 15 weeks ago but they aren't figuring in the $200 in supplies you invested in to get them to that point.
Thanks! Lots to think about. Was considering buying basically 2 sets of what I want and then selling the extras as a “ready made flock.” Would have a mix of colored birds and eggs, all pretty beginner-friendly, and mostly breeds I haven't seen for sale at the feed stores around here. 🤔. Was kind of hoping that would let me charge a bit more. And that way we would have a backup in case one of our chicks didn't make it or was a dude.

We shall see. I also have a friend getting back to me today or tomorrow about if they want in on the order, so if they want a ton maybe we won’t order a whole bonus set ourselves.

I ordered as soon as Cackle had Chamois Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhaubens available.

:eek: I ordered 35 chicks to arrive May 27th, 2023.

So many chicks.
5 each of Chamois Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhaubens, Gold Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhaubens, Silver Laced English Orpingtons, Black Ameraucanas, Lavender Ameraucanas, Silver Duckwing Phoenix, and Gold Duckwing Phoenix.

All pretty much for me, and will be selling off or eating extra roosters.

Also might get 3 to 5 of something from TSC. Blue breasted brown leghorns, or bantam EEs.

I ordered as soon as Cackle had Chamois Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhaubens available.

:eek: I ordered 35 chicks to arrive May 27th, 2023.

So many chicks.
5 each of Chamois Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhaubens, Gold Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhaubens, Silver Laced English Orpingtons, Black Ameraucanas, Lavender Ameraucanas, Silver Duckwing Phoenix, and Gold Duckwing Phoenix.

All pretty much for me, and will be selling off or eating extra roosters.

Also might get 3 to 5 of something from TSC. Blue breasted brown leghorns, or bantam EEs.
That’s a fun & funky order! 😊

That’s a fun & funky order! 😊
Lol, I know. I like crested but wanted them able to fend for themselves so went Spitzhauben.

Ameraucanas are my favorites.

The Orpingtons....they where a mistake in my first order and grew on me. Three are promised to a friend so I went for the silver laced English Orpingtons to add to the lavenders. Oh the lavenders also ended up being mottled as well.

I lost a golden phoenix hen so those are to replace her. The silvers are just because I love the color of the hens.

My Meyer's eggs arrived today...
44a.PNG

Here is my list.
45a.PNG

Have you had the brabanters or welbars before? If so, thoughts? Considering an order that includes both those breeds, which are new to me.
I have had brabanters in the past. Welbars will be new for me. I choose those because they are supposed to lay a very dark brown egg and have good dispositions. Brabanters are one of my favorite breeds. They look cool, are extremely quiet... very sweet, friendly birds. They are not the most prolific layers however. They lay a small white egg a 2-3 times a week.

I have had brabanters in the past. Welbars will be new for me. I choose those because they are supposed to lay a very dark brown egg and have good dispositions. Brabanters are one of my favorite breeds. They look cool, are extremely quiet... very sweet, friendly birds. They are not the most prolific layers however. They lay a small white egg a 2-3 times a week.
They are quiet? All the googling I did about them said they were loud…I would have ordered one last year!

Back
Top Bottom