Countdown To Eggs! For June hatches 😊

Pics
Since I mentioned it in chick chat thread, I shouldn’t have to remind everyone that it nearing the point of no return to have a good batch of winter time layers. Get em now or we’ll be trying will our young little pullets into laying this November. Again!

Well heck, my June girls started laying already and I'm still waiting on one of the April girls from last year! Maybe I should have waited until June to hatch! :th

I think so! She's the same breed as all the June girls who are laying already. :barnie
D7BA8638-5532-400D-BA1A-638F4CCFD992.gif

Nah, she's just a bitty bantam Cochin, and egg count isn't super important to me anyway. I've counted her out of my breeding stock for the breed, but she can bum in my mixed flock of retirees and various breeds as long as she wants, as far as I'm concerned. 🤭

Last edited:
Our chickids hatched July 5, making them 14 weeks old yesterday. We have EE, Black Australorps, BO and Dominiques. I heard that unless we use supplemental lighting, our girls won't lay any eggs until the Spring.
Is that true?

You sound like me. All my July pullets are laying, my Aug pullet is laying ..... Still waiting on my April (mid) CCL to start.... She looked like she was going to a week or so ago with spending hours in the nest box. I started to worry she was egg bound. Then boom stopped sitting in the boxes. She still goes in the coop here and there but just to scratch around.... I am starting to think she will never lay...
Did you use supplemental lighting in the coop? I was told our July 5th hatches wouldn't start laying until the Spring unless we used supplemental lighting. I'm trying to find out if that is true or false. Thank you!

Did you use supplemental lighting in the coop? I was told our July 5th hatches wouldn't start laying until the Spring unless we used supplemental lighting. I'm trying to find out if that is true or false. Thank you!
Not Spring exactly, probably January or there about. My May chicks from last year laid their first eggs beginning of January.

I do not use supplemental lighting at all. Most of mine either start, if the don't before Nov, or start back up in Feb. A couple may start in Jan and some March but Feb seems like the majority start back for the year.

Back
Top Bottom