Countdown To Eggs! For June hatches 😊

Pics
Even though I said yesterday I wouldn’t I sold 4 more pullets. Again, some favorites, but to another lovely home. The ad is now deleted so I won’t be contacted about selling anymore. This week was a good reminder there are always homes out there for nice roosters (genetics or temperament).

The final count of birds for the new coop is 20 birds: 3 rooster, 17 hens.
That’s a nice size! And it’s a blessing to send a roo to a good home…even if you love him!

So I hatched some chicks in mid-May, and gave them to a friend. Got a text that they had their first tiny green egg from one of the pullets this morning!

Great news, as it means we have a chance of eggs next month from ourJune hatched ladies! 😊
Hooray! That’s great news indeed.:wee I feel like one of my early June hatch pullets has started to enlarge and redden her comb.

My husband works everyday on the new coop. It’s being built in 8’ panels/sections. 7 out of 11 panels are completed. It’ll be ready for paint this week and gravel to prep a pad had been delivered.

7F8B14E7-1533-4FFE-8E8F-606D93C821A2.jpeg 44E9769C-8E41-4915-8CFF-0307FFE48E69.jpeg 5646F049-CEC9-4C0A-B595-2F3EFBEEA207.jpeg

Hooray! That’s great news indeed.:wee I feel like one of my early June hatch pullets has started to enlarge and redden her comb.

My husband works everyday on the new coop. It’s being built in 8’ panels/sections. 7 out of 11 panels are completed. It’ll be ready for paint this week and gravel to prep a pad had been delivered.

View attachment 3273219View attachment 3273220View attachment 3273222
Looks awesome! Can’t wait to see the result once it’s put together!

A chick hatched on June 1 would be at 17 weeks now. I know some people say hybrids lay at 18 weeks but none of mine ever have. My RIRs took a solid 6 months to lay. Ya never know. Someone’s June chicks may be close.

A chick hatched on June 1 would be at 17 weeks now. I know some people say hybrids lay at 18 weeks but none of mine ever have. My RIRs took a solid 6 months to lay. Ya never know. Someone’s June chicks may be close.
I figure 16 weeks as the earliest possible laying date. However, I believe most of us have had chickens awhile and understand it can take much longer. I’ve had Black Cooper Marans it was close to a full year, possibly a few weeks longer. Bought in March and didn’t start laying until the following Spring (don’t remember an exact date anymore).

None of this experience dulls the thrill of new layers. Nor the hope that, maybe:fl, this batch of gals got them memo early laying is a-okay.

I figure 16 weeks as the earliest possible laying date. However, I believe most of us have had chickens awhile and understand it can take much longer. I’ve had Black Cooper Marans it was close to a full year, possibly a few weeks longer. Bought in March and didn’t start laying until the following Spring (don’t remember an exact date anymore).

None of this experience dulls the thrill of new layers. Nor the hope that, maybe:fl, this batch of gals got them memo early laying is a-okay.
I know right! I have a batch from around June 8. I have one out of 12 that has “the look.” I’m not holding my breath though.😂

Back
Top Bottom