Counting before they hatch

cacklemama

Songster
Oct 11, 2017
Ocean county New Jersey
Chillin' With My Peeps
I have 12 polish top knot eggs (shipped) in my incubator. Temp 100-101.5 humidity 50-54% days 1-17. On day 18 all were candled moving had air cell and removed from turning tray. I increased humidity to 65-70% I'm half way thru day 21 and nothing is happening. I guess I'm being overly anxious as this is my first time trying to hatch. Should i be doing anything at this point? Thanks in advance for the input.

Did you see any movement when you candled (this last time or before)? Can you hear anyone peeping? Did you calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer? Did you wait 24 hours to then count day one? Odds are everything is fine and you just have to wait it out but with your temps running higher-ish I wouldn't expect a late hatch.

Did you see any movement when you candled (this last time or before)? Can you hear anyone peeping? Did you calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer? Did you wait 24 hours to then count day one? Odds are everything is fine and you just have to wait it out but with your temps running higher-ish I wouldn't expect a late hatch.
I candles when I removed them from the turning turn and all were moving. I calibrated both thermometer and hydrometer. This is how I counted placed in 3/7 @8:30pm on 3/8 @ 8:30 pm was 1 day day 2 started at 8:30pm on 3/8

Did you notice if the air cell is size it should be at the time you locked down. Humidity is kinda high for days 1-17. I run dry around 30 -35% if your air cell is to small chicks will drown when they pip

you can search this site or Google chicken air cell development chart. That will show you what size the air cell should be at given points during incubation. I would not be surprised if your air cells are to small if you were + 50% days 1-17. Good luck hope you still get a good hatch!

Chillin' With My Peeps
I have 12 polish top knot eggs (shipped) in my incubator. Temp 100-101.5 humidity 50-54% days 1-17. On day 18 all were candled moving had air cell and removed from turning tray. I increased humidity to 65-70% I'm half way thru day 21 and nothing is happening. I guess I'm being overly anxious as this is my first time trying to hatch. Should i be doing anything at this point? Thanks in advance for the input.

I feel i can help here as i had the exact same problem in the spring - everything was going well until the 21st when i was waiting all day for the first 'pip' Towards the end of day 21 i had seen nothing, and to make it worse the 4 eggs that i put under a broody hen had all hatched successfully, but nothing from incubator. However in the morning of day 22 i saw the first pips, and by the end of day 23 i had 17/19 hatch from the incubator and the 2 that didn't hatch had nothing in them -- infertile. This was my first hatch and was extremely successful, despite the worries of day 21!

you can search this site or Google chicken air cell development chart. That will show you what size the air cell should be at given points during incubation. I would not be surprised if your air cells are to small if you were + 50% days 1-17. Good luck hope you still get a good hatch!
When you mentioned the air cells and I googled it mine were the right size. The humidity guide li es I used came with the incubator and some sources I read. I have a farm innovators pro model 4250

Back
Top Bottom