County fair birds for sale, bad idea?

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
Our local county fair is this week. Had a beautiful set of silver sebrights for sale 35 for pair. How bad is it to buy birds at fair? Are they selling because they don't want to reintroduce these birds back into their own flock? Quarantine I'm sure, I don't really want them, but since I've gotten birds recently,I was looking at different things.

Also, it is a pretty small fair, so not tons of variety, but to you silkie owners out there. . . . You must smile constantly because those birds are so cute, remind me of muppets!

Just make sure to quarantine any new birds that come home with you for at least 30 days before introducing them to your flock. $35 is not a bad price. Guess it depends on how much you really want them. I have paid up to $50 for a pair of birds that I wanted and I know their are others who pay much more depending on quality and lines.

When you said you "don't really want them", I suggest you don't get them just because they're pretty. It's a commitment like any other animal husbandry and should be taken seriously. Sebrights are striking and I would be tempted as well.

We've got golden sebrights now (1 pair) hatchery birds, and I could definitely see difference in quality. I have room and place to quarantine if I really wanted to. mostly the question was about logistics and general idea of buying from fair. I'm still new, our first flock is 24 weeks old, second is 20 weeks. So probably as much of a hypothetical what if it was pair of something I really wanted kind of thing.

Last night I was looking at birds differently than ever because of having my own. Also thinking biosecurity, etc. Thanks for responses.

Even the month quarantine is no guarantee. I probably wouldn't do it. However, if I did, after the month, I would then choose one from my flock and put her with the new ones, and leave them another two to three weeks. Reason is, a disease that didn't show up in quarantine could show up this way.

Back
Top Bottom