Coup not done...using a kiddie pool for chicks

funnychick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 1, 2012
My coup isnt quite done and my chick are arriving on tuesday. I am going to use a kiddie pool in my basement for them until they can move into their new home. Does anyone know about how old chicks are when they are able to jump out of an 18" high kiddie pool? Just trying to gage how much time I have to get this coup done!

It depends on the chick. Mine are 8 days old and one already jumped out of a foot tall pen I have outside for them to play in. It found a worm and didn't want to share it. But I'd guess you'll be safe til they are about 2 weeks old.

I had to put screens over our playpen brooder within the first two weeks of having our chicks. It was our ameracaunas that learned to fly quickly. I agree it depends on the breed. Our Cochins took a while to even jump onto the 5 inch roosting bar. If you're concerned you could always go to lowes or home depot (call first) and ask them to save you some appliance boxes. Its a free option for a big brooder. That is what mine are in now. I have the boxes standing up straight (cut one side on each and connected them to make one big octagonal/circular wall). The brooder is 6 foot diameter 4 foot high , and nobody is able to fly out. I put a tarp on the floor and covered the tarp with cardboard before adding the shavings.

The two things you can try are raising the height of the walls (as suggested above, adding cardboard walls) or getting some hardware cloth or window screening to cover the kiddie pool. I cut hardware cloth to fit my tub, reinforced the edges with duct tape so that I wouldn't cut myself on it, and put that on my metal tub when my chicks were small. Then, I moved them to an old playpen that I completely covered in hardware cloth. Hardware cloth is nice because you can bend it easily and thread it together with galvanized wire.

I use a kiddie pool for my chicks also...I use a box with higher sides for the first week and then move them to the pool so they have more room. I have kept them in there until they are 6 weeks old by wrapping 3 foot high chicken wire around the outside of it to raise the sides while allowing them plenty of air and light. My last batch were 14 EEs and by the time they were 6 weeks old they were hopping out on occasion, so that is probably the maximum time you have unless you actually covered the whole top.

Also...depending on how many chicks you have coming, you may wish to use something smaller with higher sides for the first week. This keeps them closer to the heat lamp and food/water and helps keep any drafts off from them.

Back
Top Bottom