Couple day old chick with naval protrusion

Sandwitch

Chirping
Oct 27, 2022
We hatched our first eggs these past couple days and this little one has been concerning us. She's completely bright eyed and bushy tailed and seems like a perfectly normal chick.... minus the bump. We gave her an extra night in the incubator but I'm a bit worried that might've made things worse since we had several issues during our hatch and I think it may now have bacteria in it. We put neosporin on it and put her back in. Our plan is tomorrow to clean the incubator for her and hope the bump goes away? I think it might be getting worse instead of better. I'll attach photos but I'm just not sure what to do to help her. The first is from yesterday after she hatched the second is from an hour ago the second pic sucks sorry about that but I wanted something to show the difference.
IMG_3109.jpg
Screenshot_20230406-235844_Photos.jpg

Hi! How's the navel? Is it healing up? If the other chicks are ignoring the navel you can put her in with the rest.
We gave her two buddies in the incubator and they seem to be ignoring her navel so if all goes well hopefully we will be putting her with the actual flock of a dozen or so chicks soon 🤞
20230408_202833.jpg
20230408_202821.jpg

Attachments

• 20230408_202837.jpg
    20230408_202837.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 0
Well update on who we'd ended up calling Bubbles she eventually was able to go with the rest of the chicks without anyone bothering her bubble and eventually it ended up disappearing fully! She was a really happy bright eyed and active lady until last night/early morning. We found her body today and it looks like she found a nice little place to pass away in her sleep. It was cold and slightly stiff so she'd been gone awhile. I orginally worried it was because of a heat advisory we have but I don’t think she was alive when it was at its hottest today. Her passing didn't seem to be traumatic at all I think something just wasn't right with her body unfortunately. She did have a good month of life and as much as I wish she lasted longer it was an incredibly peaceful passing. RIP Bubbles :(
Screenshot_20230513-221439_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Well update on how we'd ended up calling Bubbles she eventually was able to go with the rest of the chicks without anyone bothering her bubble and eventually it ended up disappearing fully! She was a really happy bright eyed and active lady until last night/early morning. We found her body today and it looks like she found a nice little place to pass away in her sleep. It was cold and slightly stiff so she'd been gone awhile. I orginally worried it was because of a heat advisory we have but I don’t think she was alive when it was at its hottest today. Her passing didn't seem to be traumatic at all I think something just wasn't right with her body unfortunately. She did have a good month of life and as much as I wish she lasted longer it was an incredibly peaceful passing. RIP Bubbles :(View attachment 3504548
here was her body looking like she just went to sleep and didn't wake back up
20230513_143459.jpg

Back
Top Bottom