1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

couple of Brahma Im not sure of ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stormylady, Mar 22, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    ok these chicks were peanuts and were all suppose to be boys but the don't look lke there all the same. so could you tell me what you think please. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [/img] the two brahma in the middle of the picture. Im going to get better pics later in the day, but I noticed that one of the ones Im pretty sure of has a larger comb and also wattles are becoming obvious, some don't have them, Any guesses? Thank you Sandy

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sandy,
    I can only see one tiny pic? but the one I see looks like a pullet. How old are they?

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I see the small pic but not the large one.

Brahmas are very slow to mature, cockerals will have a orangey broad thick comb starting and wattles, the pullets have a very thin pale comb and just a slip of a wattle.

4. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    They are 6 weeks old in the pictures, I know i messed up when I tried to add some more pictures, Let me try again. Thanks[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Im having real problems trying to get this photo thing right sorry.
    some of the boys are really obvious like honeycomb (the close up) but the others don't have any wattles growing that are noticable and the combs are flat to there heads.

6. sydni82

sydni82 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Arkansas
    I think that they are too young to tell just by looking mine took a while before it looked like a roo.

7. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thanks Sidni82 I will try again in a couple of weeks maybe little honey comb is just an early developer.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Only one I can tell for sure is the far pic on the right in the last pictures you put up and that is a cockeral growing out at that age.

The first pic, the buff on the left looks to be cockeral too. It just takes time knowing with Brahmas as they don't mature quickly.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, honeycomb is a definite. The others it's a bit too early to tell.

10. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Oh no! not my sweet little peaches, Golden sexlink, Shes suppose to be a girl, Boy thats a heartbreaker! LOL He is so sweet I would have never guessed. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by