Couple of Pigeons Questions

BrandonsBirbs

Thanks HopKat for my PFM ♥
Feb 22, 2022
Berkshire, England
1. Are all pigeons loud? Currently have some pretty grumpy neighbours and don't want to upset them too much lol.
2. I've tried to find information on land dwelling pigeon, does anyone have any information on different species of them and if they're even in the UK.

Cheers!

Let me tackle your questions.
I only kept homing pigeons,, so those were not loud. They do make gentle noises,, but I don't see,,(hear) that being loud.

Parlor Rollers are land dwelling pigeons. Never had any, but a member that hangs out here on the pigeon forums did. Not sure what is available in UK. My UK pigeon friend stopped visiting this forum a while ago. Not sure why. :idunno
King pigeons, and Fantail pigeons are close to being land pigeons. I consider them as Garden Variety. They do fly,,,, but not much.

Currently have some pretty grumpy neighbours and don't want to upset them too much lol.
Can I suggest you contact the 2 gentlemen below,, and they can get to the bottom of the neighbors' problem:idunno:gig
image_2022-07-23_021054.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

My daughter has an English Fantail Pigeon, and it doesn't fly much. It usually hovers like a helicopter, or flies to her shoulder. -never tries to fly away when she's outdoors with it. -pretty quiet and very friendly. She keeps it in a flight cage indoors to roost, and when she's about the house, the bird wears a flight suit (bird diaper) and hangs out with her outside the cage like a dog/cat. Craziest thing!

Let me tackle your questions.
I only kept homing pigeons,, so those were not loud. They do make gentle noises,, but I don't see,,(hear) that being loud.

Parlor Rollers are land dwelling pigeons. Never had any, but a member that hangs out here on the pigeon forums did. Not sure what is available in UK. My UK pigeon friend stopped visiting this forum a while ago. Not sure why. :idunno
King pigeons, and Fantail pigeons are close to being land pigeons. I consider them as Garden Variety. They do fly,,,, but not much.

Can I suggest you contact the 2 gentlemen below,, and they can get to the bottom of the neighbors' problem:idunno:gig
View attachment 3196638

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
After reading your post yesterday I did a bit of browsing online for fantail, kings and parlor rollers (I didn't expect they actually do somersaults lol). All the parlor roller adverts want £200-400 for one bird, and kings want £200-300 a pair. Had good luck with people selling fantails for only £10-50 each which is fantastic.

I'm sorry about your friend, hope he comes back to BYC one day.

Going to start looking for ways to home them here! Thank you so much! I wish Holmes and Watson would sort em out!

My daughter has an English Fantail Pigeon, and it doesn't fly much. It usually hovers like a helicopter, or flies to her shoulder. -never tries to fly away when she's outdoors with it. -pretty quiet and very friendly. She keeps it in a flight cage indoors to roost, and when she's about the house, the bird wears a flight suit (bird diaper) and hangs out with her outside the cage like a dog/cat. Craziest thing!
That's amazing! We want ours to be pets and we were considering a breeding pair however I am not sure how well a breeding pair would do with being pets! The bird diapers are brilliant! They look so funny lol

Going to start looking for ways to home them here!
Fantails are not homing pigeons.. That does not mean yours will not want to go back to your loft. (when you release them into your garden) It means that if you purchase them from someone in next town over,,,, they will not return to their original loft.
Homing pigeons,,, well they speak for themselves.. Some can be homeset, even as adult purchase,, but does get challenging,, and no guarantee it will work.
I know that some of the exotic breeds of pigeons can get pricey. I think you will be very happy with £10-50 priced Fantails.

Pigeons who fly are actually great! They come back home, and they eat outside so zero costs. A couple is a sure way to promise that they'll come back!
They are not as loud as a rooster, they just make this purrrr noise, mostly the husband.

Fantails are not homing pigeons.. That does not mean yours will not want to go back to your loft. (when you release them into your garden) It means that if you purchase them from someone in next town over,,,, they will not return to their original loft.
Homing pigeons,,, well they speak for themselves.. Some can be homeset, even as adult purchase,, but does get challenging,, and no guarantee it will work.
I know that some of the exotic breeds of pigeons can get pricey. I think you will be very happy with £10-50 priced Fantails.
Sorry I meant home like get to building their loft and things, just want to find a good design before I start haha. A guy up the road has homing pigeons, I would be too scared one wouldnt come back I think!

Perfect, thank you!

Pigeons who fly are actually great! They come back home, and they eat outside so zero costs. A couple is a sure way to promise that they'll come back!
They are not as loud as a rooster, they just make this purrrr noise, mostly the husband.
I'm not dead set against flyers, it's just a guy near me has a lot of homing pigeons and I'd be worried they went there or something. I'd consider a small flyer for an indoors pet. I was listening to some noises the other day, they're quite sweet.

Sorry I meant home like get to building their loft and things, just want to find a good design before I start haha. A guy up the road has homing pigeons, I would be too scared one wouldnt come back I think!

Perfect, thank you!
If you go the Homing pigeon route,, of course they will be flyers. An easy way to do this is,,, Borrow a pair of homers from your neighbor. (purchase with the knowledge they may return to him) Keep them prisoners,,, until they hatch out a few young. The young will return to your loft. The parents,,,,,, may homeset to your loft, or not. Ether way,, if they return to your neighbor,, your young ones will keep returning to your loft.

Back
Top Bottom