Couple of questions about my new chicks

jdr250

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Hi all I've been reading this forum for about 3 weeks while we've been preparing for our new chicks. We are first time chick parents so I have just a few questions.

1. We got 5 red sex pullets from TSC, and they said they were about 3 days old, but they seem really active for 3 days they sleep for about 10-15 minutes then play for about an hour. Does that sound age appropriate?

2. I was reading that red sexes can be sexed from their coloring, but one of my chicks is way lighter than all the rest and only has two small red stripes down his/her back still sound like a pullet?

3. They keep climbing on top of the chick feeder and trying to sit on it but they slide off, should I put a roost in the brooder for them or are they too young?

4. Can we begin handling them now? I found one website that said don't handle them for a week?

Ok, last question....sorry

5. We are putting the finishing touches on our coop (a converted work shed 5x7 and insulated) but are unsure how high to put the roost I'm not sure how high would be too high.

1. They probably sleep during the night or when your not in there. What color light do you have? Red light is better.

3. You should put a roost in. I used a ruler and put each side of the ruler into a slit in 2 empty toilet paper rolls.

4. I handled mine when they were a day old mine love to be handled.

ticks

We have white. That's the only heat light TSC had last week when we set up the brooder. Should I go buy a red one?

well it's just my opinion but I think they would sleep better. But with gas prices don't go to far for a light:)
don't forget 250 watt would be good. Don't forget to wash your hands super good after touching your chicks

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom