Couple of questions concerning some Dark Brahma chicks

heavenjumper

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2021
I got Dark Brahma hatching eggs from someone local that has Dark and Buff Brahmas, but they are in separate pens. I had 2 chicks that look like this, are they Buff Brahmas instead of Dark?
20220523_160110.jpg

My other question is I've noticed that while most of them(14 total) have the typical Brahma pea comb, there are a few that seem to have a single comb. Is that normal or is this something that should concern me as far as purity of breed? Or am I just blind and it is still a pea comb? Here's one of them that appears to be a single comb.
20220525_170827.jpg

My goal is to breed high quality Dark Brahmas. My current rooster I have found out has some Light Brahma in him so I want to be sure I'm replacing him with the best rooster I can as well as making sure my hens all have the right traits.

I got Dark Brahma hatching eggs from someone local that has Dark and Buff Brahmas, but they are in separate pens. I had 2 chicks that look like this, are they Buff Brahmas instead of Dark? View attachment 3123723
My other question is I've noticed that while most of them(14 total) have the typical Brahma pea comb, there are a few that seem to have a single comb. Is that normal or is this something that should concern me as far as purity of breed? Or am I just blind and it is still a pea comb? Here's one of them that appears to be a single comb.

My goal is to breed high quality Dark Brahmas.

If those eggs came from a Dark Brahma hens, that means that the Sire is a Buff Brahma rooster, I would stay away from that breeder and would not use any of those chick as breeders. Those chicks are clearly Pet Quality

If those eggs came from a Dark Brahma hens, that means that the Sire is a Buff Brahma rooster, I would stay away from that breeder and would not use any of those chick as breeders. Those chicks are clearly Pet Quality
Thank you, I'm wondering if maybe they mixed up a couple of the eggs with their Buffs and that's how I got those 2. I know for a fact their Buffs and Darks are in separate pens. For building my knowledge, what makes them pet quality? They are supposed to be high quality, so I want to make sure going forward I know what I need to look for. Here are some of the others for a better overall view.
20220523_153956.jpg
20220523_154424.jpg
20220523_154237.jpg

Back
Top Bottom