Couple questions about seramas

IcedMochaChick

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Nebraska
I've looked all over and can't find any info on the serama's flying ability. I assume, because of their size, that they are fliers. Will I have to clip their wings when I let them out in the yard?
Also, when will I be able to tell the sex? They are only two weeks old right now.
Ok, one more question while I'm at it. How long should I wait to put them outside with the rest of the chickens? We currently have a silkie male and female, an EE hen, and four older silkie/showgirl chicks. The EE and silkie hens love the chicks, but I worry about the rooster.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited:
they can fly, mine like to run more then fly, I've learned how to use a large butterfly net, the cotton one not the little kids one. they return 'home' at nightfall like any other chicken.
I can guess sex at 3-4 weeks, you can treat them like any other banty.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks everyone!
thumbsup.gif

Just curious why you would want to clip thier wings. Are you afraid they will fly away like a pheasant or quail or somthing? I have a pair that I let out often and would never dream of clipping thier wings. The ability to fly can often be a good thing. For example, say a neighbors or even a stray dog decided to eat them. They would probally fend alot better if they could fly up on the hen house or a tree then running and screaming through the yard. Just something to think about. Mine always go back in to roost before dark.
wee.gif

Last edited:
Oh yeah, they can fly!
I do nt clip my seramas wings, its part of their essance:D
but oh yeah- 30 feet up in a tree went my roo one time
they have a good temperment though- they are not as flighty and nutty as other breeds- that seabright I have- gesh- you look at it weird and it takes off freaking out
these guys are not really like taht
but... if I am over on one side of a place, they will just fly over to roost on my shoulder- they have really good flight I think

I just worry about them getting loose in the neighborhood, as we're in the city. We'll have the privacy fence in, so I don't have to worry about dogs getting in the yard. If they got out of the yard, then I'd have a lot to worry about! They should stay with the other chickens though, shouldn't they? None of the chickens will be loose in the yard unless we're out there with them. I've seen too many hawks around to leave them alone.

Back
Top Bottom