couple questions

belgie

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I brought home my day old meaties last Friday. Today I removed the paper towel I was using and put down wood chips, all has been going very well until this afternoon we noticed one wasn't as active as the others, I found his 'vent' was covered with poop. Thankfully I have been reading as much as I can here and followed what you guys do, warm cloth and slowly picked it off ( a long process by the way) Shortly after returning him to the brooder he pooped.Here come my questions I dipped his beak in water a few times but he didn't want to drink or eat. Do you think he will be ok? He seems to just want to snuggle in with others, and may be cold seeing the house isn't as warm as he's use to. some of the other chicks were pecking at his backside, is this because they smell me, or he's a bit wet? It is one of the smaller chicks so I'm a bit worried. Any words of advise? Something I should have done different?
Thanks

I've had to wash off crusty poo from a chick. I used the blowdryer on low to dry her down because the other girls were picking at her wet butt. He's probably cold from getting wet and that's why he wants to snuggle. Some chicks just aren't as strong as others but keep a close eye on him to see if he develops any other symptoms or gets more lethargic.

thanks, I am afraid it may not be looking good, its not moving around much and I put plain yogurt on a spoon and kept dipping it on he's break trying to get him to eat and then did the same thing with water. I didn't think I would be quite so sad about losing one or two, but this really sucks!
I will check again in the morning

You may not have caught it in time. By time the "pasty butt" causes them to slow down, it's often to late. After having my first experience with it a few years ago, and losing a couple, I make a point of checking all of their butts daily. The year I had 25 chicks, it was not such an easy task, but off and on throughout the day, I would randomly check 5 or more, and hoped I was getting them all checked at least every 2 days.

Any signs or small amount of poo on the backside should be wiped off. It's not usually a problem after the first week. Try giving him a little bit of sugar water, it just may give him some extra energy which will help him to eat and drink.

I hope your little one pulls through!

Quote:
x2.
hugs.gif

We lost him through the night, Sad but was trying not to get my hopes up. I'm going up later with a pail of warm water and a cloth and checking all 25. I lined the brooder with paper towel, some seem to be pecking at the shavings. thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom