Courting Behavior?

Pics
Dec 8, 2019
Valencia County, New Mexico
I got a pair of Afghan pigeons this week and I was told it was a male/female pair. Sometimes the one with more grey pecks at the other ones beak, and it draws itself up and nibbles on the others beak. Then they grab each other’s cheek feathers and kinda tug back and forth. I’m new to owning pigeons. Is this mating behavior or are they just fighting?

Attachments

• 698FF42D-1B1C-43A6-9762-E40BEB9E5FA7.jpeg
    698FF42D-1B1C-43A6-9762-E40BEB9E5FA7.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 22E24497-90A8-4C4B-8C5B-C57865333ACD.jpeg
    22E24497-90A8-4C4B-8C5B-C57865333ACD.jpeg
    503.1 KB · Views: 17
If I seen the behavior in real time,,, than would be able to asses more. I had similar actions occur when there were 2 males getting at each other.
Mating activity is similar, but gentle.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome
I responded to your other posting asking for some pix. Thanks,,, I see the pigeons here. :thumbsup

I got a pair of Afghan pigeons this week and I was told it was a male/female pair. Sometimes the one with more grey pecks at the other ones beak, and it draws itself up and nibbles on the others beak. Then they grab each other’s cheek feathers and kinda tug back and forth. I’m new to owning pigeons. Is this mating behavior or are they just fighting?
Love is in the air! You probably do have a mated pair.. I will echo my friend @cavemanrich and say :welcome . please join us at one of our active threads like Pigeon Talk.

It’s not violent, I’ll get a vid if I can, but thank you!!! I really hope I can expect squabs!! I’ll give you updates as soon as possible!
It's good to have your general location in your profile. Are you in a cold climate now, or ...? I have two babies I just banded. It can be more difficult in the cold, depends on the parents skills. Best of luck to you.:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom