Courting Behavior?

Y
so I just checked, turns out Afghans are high flyers.
Good, still keep them captive for awhile yet but you probably won't have to raise 3 clutches to home set them. What kind of predators do you have besides raptors. I.e. raccoons, fox, coyote, snakes ,rats.? Usually pigeons are not hit by cars but 2 of mine were bx they found a source of grit in the cracks of the road and got used to the cars stopping to wait for them to move. My pigeons can easily out fly the red tail hawk most common around here. Still 2 were lost to ambush on the ground..

Y

Good, still keep them captive for awhile yet but you probably won't have to raise 3 clutches to home set them. What kind of predators do you have besides raptors. I.e. raccoons, fox, coyote, snakes ,rats.? Usually pigeons are not hit by cars but 2 of mine were bx they found a source of grit in the cracks of the road and got used to the cars stopping to wait for them to move. My pigeons can easily out fly the red tail hawk most common around here. Still 2 were lost to ambush on the ground..
Thank you!

Ideal for pigeons to nest in is a bowl. It keeps the straw, sticks, and whatever nesting materials contained. It also keeps Junior from falling out when small. Bowl can be on a shelf out of draft, and wind. Nesting boxes become more desirable when there are multiple adult pigeons in same loft. Keeps intruders out.
Many pigeon fanciers use these clay bowls.
https://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/nest-bowls/2120-clay-nest-bowls-3-pack
The heavier weight is advantage of it not being knocked over easily.
serveimage

There is no right way, or wrong way. It all depends what is practical for your loft. This is how I had my loft nesting boxes setup. 4 separate chambers, so the wire kept the lil ones from falling out when somewhat bigger, and kept intruders somewhat out as well. The mother would be able to provide protection, since the entry was limited to one side.
Photo0251.jpg

I was able to easily close off the compartment if needed to. Never did need to:highfive:

So, I think my suspicions that Peach was male are correct. I had him out with me earlier, and when I just put him back, he did some loud cooing. When I went to check on them later, he was doing this grunting thing. moved him our of the way as he was in the way of the food, and he ran back, cooing, turning in circles, and strutting in front of Kiwi. If im correct this is mating behavior? Really wish you could upload videos from your phone onto here. I got a video of it.

Back
Top Bottom