Cousins ticking me off! plus poor baby chicks have to suffer!

CrazyChickensEverwhere

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
My cousin bought I don't know 8 chicks from are local feedstore, And she had 2 ducks. Well one Chick ( GL wyandotte) developed a bald spot on its neck, pretty much stopped growing. One has a broken leg. there all in ruff shape. Yesterday it was storming and she left them in the rain. I pushed her to go back home and get them. I helped her bring them in, and she kept saying to me " I don't want them anymore..." I want to offer to take them and get them out of her hands. But at the same time I don't have much room, I think I should ask her if I can have them.....

Oh and you want to know what!!!! She was 6 eggs in my incubator, now shes telling me " I don't want them " GRRRRR!!!

(btw shes 13 years old)

I am a little older and shes being terrible! she takes care of her big flock! but not the chicks. and she keeps asking me for some of the eggs from my flock to hatch! since she likes my chickens.

Sorry need to vent..

Another thing. She buys full grown chickens from a swap meet, now shes planning on going to her dads for half the summer and askes me to take care of her chickens. Well what can I say? nothing really... beside yes.. Its terrible she knew going in that if shes going to have all these plans she should have not got them!

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I agree. Though shes a money hungry little girl she would be mad if I sold them and she did not get the money... So I might pass on that. I might just leave her with them chicks, and when she bugs me for hatching eggs, i'll remind her of the time she kept saying " I don't want my chicks!"

sounds good
smile.png
lol you could also charge her extra for eggs to discourage her lol

Last edited:
First, where are her parents in all of this? You do not say how much older you are (and don't since it is obvious that you are still a kid), but it is obvious that at 13 she does not have the maturity and foresight to not get chickens when she will not be around to care for them. But really, that is her parents' responsibility, not yours. I know that when my step kids were young (they are all grown now) and coming to visit us during the summer, that that did not mean that they could not have pets at home. Their mom took care of the ones they had there; we took care of the ones they had here.

You cannot sell our cousins birds or chicks without her consent; that is not legal and it is certainly not moral. By all means suggest that she sell them since she is no longer interested, or ask her to give them to you (at which point, if you wish you may sell them). If you sell her birds, she gets the money, although it would be nice for her to pay you a percentage for your effort. If you sell your birds (that she gave you); the money is yours.

As for the eggs in the incubator; ask her if she really does not want them--if that is the case, you can keep or sell them as you wish.

What you really need to do is talk to her parents and explain your concerns. Then let them take over.

Quote:
I was not planning on selling her birds without permission, that would be stupid and mean. What I meant was
" I wanted her to give them to me and i'd sell them"
My cousin bought I don't know 8 chicks from are local feedstore, And she had 2 ducks. Well one Chick ( GL wyandotte) developed a bald spot on its neck, pretty much stopped growing. One has a broken leg. there all in ruff shape. Yesterday it was storming and she left them in the rain. I pushed her to go back home and get them. I helped her bring them in, and she kept saying to me " I don't want them anymore..." I want to offer to take them and get them out of her hands. But at the same time I don't have much room, I think I should ask her if I can have them.....Oh and you want to know what!!!! She was 6 eggs in my incubator, now shes telling me " I don't want them " GRRRRR!!!

(btw shes 13 years old)

I am a little older and shes being terrible! she takes care of her big flock! but not the chicks. and she keeps asking me for some of the eggs from my flock to hatch! since she likes my chickens.

Sorry need to vent.

I wouldent just take her birds. I meant I would ask her for them. I know how it works.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Her parents are busy. And my cousin claims the hatchery sold her sick chicks, which the one with the tummer thing is not her fault. I don't know in a way I feel obligated to teach her everything I know about chickens to give her my experience etc. But she throws it in my face, trying to tell me how chickens work. It makes me mad! I know A LOT more than she does because I play on BYC and got my info.

Quote:
Yeah I am not a adult yet, I've almost got a couple years on her. Though in my mind its not right, her age does not matter. I am not much older and I know to take care of my pets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom