cover the 18 x 18 inch windows on 2 sides of the coop, or not, for winter.

Kelleysclucks

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
We live in north Georgia. It can get very cold, (16 degrees above zero), with a few snow days, during some winters. Our coop has 2 doors, on opposing sides of the coop. The doors each have 18 x 18 inch "windows". The windows have 1/2 inch hardware cloth built in to them. My question is; should we cover them when it gets very cold in the winter? I was thinking of using a heavy, clear, plastic stapled to the doors to cover the windows.
Any thoughts?
Thank you.

We live in north Georgia. It can get very cold, (16 degrees above zero), with a few snow days, during some winters.

That's not "very cold" for chickens. Plenty of people have their chickens doing fine when temperatures are well below zero.

As 21hens-incharge says, photos will help.

Basic principles: do not have wind blowing directly on the roosts, but you want as much ventilation as possible.

I agree. We need to know more to be able to make a realistic suggestion. The basic ideas in winter is to provide good ventilation so moisture doesn't build up and cause frostbite when it gets below freezing and to stop a cold wind from blowing on them. Some people in your climate use a three walled coop, the fourth wall wire, but there are some qualifications with that.

I'll mention the Woods coop, good for use in some parts of the northern US and Canada. It has a lot of ventilation on one wall but the roosts and much much of the coop is in a cul-de-sac that protects from wind blowing on them. That's the type of effect you are looking for

What other ventilation do you have? How are your roosts positioned in regard to that other ventilation and those windows.

Here are some coop pics.
inside coop 2020.jpg

Attachments

• back door coop 2020.jpg
    back door coop 2020.jpg
    976.9 KB · Views: 7
  • front door Prickett coop.jpg
    front door Prickett coop.jpg
    722.6 KB · Views: 7

Ditch the red bulb for several reasons.

Fire hazard with those is super real. In your climate added heat is not needed and does far more harm than good even in colder climates. Sleeping birds cannot escape the heat in that size of coop and can easily knock into it shattering it and starting a fire.

For light so you can see be sure to use a shatter proof led bulb. You may already have one...I can't tell for sure.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60...2-Pack-TA19-08027MDFH25-12DE26-1-12/303880968

Ventilation should be up high so moist warm air gets carried up and out. It looks like the soffits are closed. It also looks like the best soffit to open is above the run. :hmm

If you make inserts for the windows in the doors they could be put in or taken out depending on temps and wind direction.....still need venting up at the top either way.

Last edited:
Open the soffits under the high and low edges of roof for winter ventilation.
Or maybe just cover one window, and leave the leeward side open.

Back
Top Bottom