Covered run is soooo dusty, what can I do?

I have this problem too. It’s extremely dusty, since my run is completely dirt. I occasionally dump the existing pine bedding from the coop, into the run, but that doesn’t really help much. It’s more of a problem during winter, when the run is closed off so much from the extreme cold. Many people say to use wood chips, but I have no idea where to find the type suggested. The dust is everywhere.
Check local dirt and bark companies... Lanscaping material. It will also be cheaper to buy it that way, instead of anything bagged you might find. You will need a truck, however. Most times, they call them “playground chips”, just call to make sure they’re not Cedar.

I don’t know how you feel about it, but that’s ou can also get free fresh mulch from city dum sites. When the city has to trim trees or get rid of fallen branches, they chip it all and dump it at a free pickup site. Most people haul it away for garden and compost use, and if there aren’t cedar trees in your area, it should be okay. But you are running the risk of not knowing what plants got chipped, or if they were ever sprayed or treated. But it’s an option.

I second aart’s suggestion for wood chips. If you have the time(and the resources, you could also lay down some 5/8ths minus gravel and pack it in with a tamping tool, underneath the chips... they’ll help create a less dusty base under the chips... but it takes a bit of sweat equity. It’s what I’m planning to try under my chips this summer to cut down on dust.

Many people say to use wood chips, but I have no idea where to find the type suggested.
A few options: chipdrop.com, or call local tree companies directly and ask how much it'd cost to drop off a load.

Caveat is you need space to store a load of chips, but it's going to be a lot cheaper than buying stuff from a landscape supply/home improvement store. In my area many companies will drop chips for free.

I second aart’s suggestion for wood chips. If you have the time(and the resources, you could also lay down some 5/8ths minus gravel and pack it in with a tamping tool, underneath the chips... they’ll help create a less dusty base under the chips... but it takes a bit of sweat equity. It’s what I’m planning to try under my chips this summer to cut down on dust.

I'd rethink the gravel. It sounds good at first but consider that poop will eventually break down and filter down between the gravel, and then just sit there and start stinking, because it's not getting any air down there.

I'd rethink the gravel. It sounds good at first but consider that poop will eventually break down and filter down between the gravel, and then just sit there and start stinking, because it's not getting any air down there.

Interesting... I guess I don’t think about that much because my chickens hardly spend any time in the run so after nearly a year there’s not much poop in there... and the majority is concentrated closer to the coop and underneath the coop itself. I was mainly thinking for the uphill part of the run, that has been eroding downhill from scratching. Maybe it’s because they kick the poop downhill too 😂

A few options: chipdrop.com, or call local tree companies directly and ask how much it'd cost to drop off a load.

Caveat is you need space to store a load of chips, but it's going to be a lot cheaper than buying stuff from a landscape supply/home improvement store. In my area many companies will drop chips for free.
TrueDat.

full

full

full

I'm in a very cold, snowy region of Canada. I cover my run with vapour barrier to create a nice, snow-free, and protected space for my ladies. I tilled up the dirt floor this fall because it was so packed down and prevented the ladies from dust bathing. Now, four months later, the dust from all of their scratching and well, just being dusty themselves, has gotten so bad. I can taste the dust in the air when I go in the run and that can not be good for their respiratory systems. I've laid down a layer of straw and leave the door open for some air circulation but that really hasn't done much. Any suggestions?

I built my coop to have about 8 square feet per bird because I knew that my chickens would not be going outside for the snow months here in northern Minnesota. My chickens typically stay in the coop all winter long. I have used wood chips the past winters, and this winter I am using paper shreds as deep litter in the coop. No dust problems.

When my chickens ate all the grass down to bare dirt in the chicken run, I dumped a load of wood chips in the run. That worked well and prevented everything from getting all muddy after a rain. I later converted my chicken run into a chicken run composting system, throwing grass clippings and leaves on top of the wood chips. The chickens peck and scratch, turning and mixing everything together. This makes great compost over time. Anyway, I have as much as 18 inches of compost litter in my chicken run, and there is no dust - but I don't have it covered by a hoop house.

I like your idea of a hoop house chicken run for the winter, but it sounds like you need more ventilation in that space. If you are bothered by the dust, just imagine how bad it must be for the chickens with their tiny lungs. Given that you have a hoop house, I think I might cut out some patches of plastic and cover that area with screen material, or maybe 1/4" mesh cloth - which should allow everything to breath but still be small enough to keep the snow out. I like some cross ventilation and having my vents towards the top.

Let us know what you try and if anything worked. Good luck.

Check local dirt and bark companies... Lanscaping material. It will also be cheaper to buy it that way, instead of anything bagged you might find. You will need a truck, however. Most times, they call them “playground chips”, just call to make sure they’re not Cedar.

I don’t know how you feel about it, but that’s ou can also get free fresh mulch from city dum sites. When the city has to trim trees or get rid of fallen branches, they chip it all and dump it at a free pickup site. Most people haul it away for garden and compost use, and if there aren’t cedar trees in your area, it should be okay. But you are running the risk of not knowing what plants got chipped, or if they were ever sprayed or treated. But it’s an option.
My neighbor has 33 ash trees lining my property, that all need to come down due to the Emerald Ash Borer killing them all. I've thought about renting a wood chipper and assisting in the removal. Free wood chips.

Back
Top Bottom