1. Chicken Chuck

Chicken Chuck New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    Have a small coop for now.... wife came home with 2 hens from a friend. Then built a 6x12 run around it with some dog kennel panels I had and put a roof on the run that is clear corrugated PVC cuz it rains sometimes in western Oregon. As the rain started I covered the half of the run where the coop is with a handy blue tarp. With more serious rain now...mixed with a good stiff wind and the water running off the roof... I just put up another of those handy blue tarps on the other 6 feet of the side toward the wind to keep the mud down. Wife came home from work and told me one of the gals who lives on her parents farm said I need to take it down due to blocking air flow and light. FACT or FICTION??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    I'm going with fiction on this one. A picture of your set up would help, but it sounds as if there should be plenty of airflow. Dry and draft free works best for our birds.

3. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Leave the side of the run open that faces the sun. Close in the other 3 sides if you want.

I closed the back side (except the top 12") to keep the winter south winds from blowing thru and the roof. The ends and front (facing the south) are open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

x2

ventilation is very important, so make sure that they do have lots of ventilation.

At the same time, a dry run is much better than a rainy run. So everything roofed is great.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I love your setup!

very very nice!

6. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Dog kennel with the clear corrugated roofing, no ventilation problems at all the wind whips through with no problem. Everything stays dry and helps with cleaning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by