covering the run with plastic to keep snow out is 4 mil ok to use

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Dec 1, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have a small 12x12 run i use for the birds in the winter when they want to come out of the coop. it has a metal roof. the four sides are covered with chicken wire i have to shovel the roof off in the winter so it dont collapse been using it the last 3 years like this. was thinking of wrapping it with 4 mil plastic to keep the snow from coming in this year less shoveling . i heard i should keep one side open for ventilation i have a door thats 3x5 i could leave that open for ventilation. they only come out of the main coop in the winter when the ground is bare or if i put hay down . some are braver than others.

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have not used 4 mil. My coop has weather walls made of 6 mil plastic. The sun is the big problem here. It killed my expensive tarps in 6 months.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I used a heavier plastic, to keep rain out. Not sure about the 4 mil...that seems awfully thin. Wind will tear thin plastic to pieces in no time.

4. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    4 mil. might last a month or 2. Generally, 6 mil. that isn't UV protected is good for a season. Since it's just walls, it might be worth a shot. If the wind doesn't get it, the sun will. I've read that you can paint it with white exterior paint to extend its life if you use it for a hoop house. That may help it get through the winter.

5. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    just need it to last thrue the winter months then i will take the plastic down in the spring . im just looking to cover the sides the roof is metal that has handled 3 winters just want to keep thee snow from coming in the sides . they sell 6 mil plastic at my local hardware they wanted $36 dollars for a small roll thought that was kinda high the 4 mil was 16 and almost the same size. i have to do some more price hunting.

6. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    We used a heavy tarp. Left open on the bottom and rig front so we culd get it. I will try and post a photo.[​IMG]

7. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    This is my 1st winter, but I enclosed all sides of my run with clear shower curtains. They were attached with furring strips & screws. I sure hope it works. I like the clear, so I can see the girls from my house and they can see what's happening. I did leave the south side open where the people door is.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:thats interesting. however how will it really hold up? longterm or just for the winter months
    i do love the fact its like clear, so your flock can see out. mine is boring blue. not exciting, and we too have the door opening clear of tarp, the chickens are gather up over there, so they can peek outside.

9. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    We wrapped our run last weekend w/ 6mm plastic from Lowes. We just did the north & west sides & under the coop part. It held up to the wild winds we had last night, 35-50 mph! Be sure to use some strapping too as I don't think just staples will hold it all winter.

10. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    4 Mil would probably make it through the winter if it is secured properly. Keep in mind though that you will be creating a giant kite for the wind to blow over. You need a very sturdy built and anchored run to keep it in one place. What is going to keep your run from collapsing with the weight of the snow on the plastic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by