Covid-19 shut down school, so incubating duck eggs at home

BD17

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2017
Good afternoon,

I am currently a 3rd grade teacher and have hatched chickens 3 times in the past 4 years. Twice I hatched at school, and once at home. With each hatch my hatch rate increased, but I feel I still have a lot to learn. Since I hatched chickens last year with my third graders, and shared the hatching with other classes I decided to try something different this year. With my principal permission I decided to try hatching duck eggs. I did the basic research, and had a person wiling to donate the eggs and take the ducklings back after hatch. Around the time that I received the egg Covid-19 struck. I did not want the eggs to go to waste so I decided to put them in the incubator at home. My first duckling hatched a on Day 26 in the incubator, and my second on Day 27. I recorded the second duckling hatching but cannot uploaded it, I have shared the video (and candling videos) with my 3rd grade students. At this time I have 5 ducklings, and 2 eggs still in the incubator. I am posting here because I find myself spending a lot of time to get answers to my questions by reading other post, and wanted to thank everyone for being so supporting and sharing your knowledge on this site.

This is what I have learned:
1. Duck eggs incubate longer
2. Duck eggs take forever to hatch
3. Patience is so important
4. Even when candling eggs and taking precautions some eggs will not hatch
5. Baby ducklings are so sweet

Attachments

• 20200412_083648.jpg
    20200412_083648.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200410_183613.jpg
    20200410_183613.jpg