1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cows in welded wire

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 18angovem, Nov 14, 2015.

1. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Can a steer be kept in welded wire fence? I recently obtained a jersey steer and steady have an unused pasture area but then fence is welded wire. Can a steer be held there safely?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would run some hot wire around the inside to keep him off the fence.

3. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    My problem is that there is no electricity that far out where it is. I have to drive there in the side by side so electric fence really isn't an option. He is a really nice steer, like I don't think he would try to tear down the fence but I am worried he would rub on it and tear it down. Do steers normally do?

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Well that depends on how thick of wire we are talking about.... Cattle panels, or sheep fencing-like wire?

Bigger gauge would work, but thin wire and one spook into the fence, and its gone.

Maybe a strand of barbedwire would work. We have some fencing that runs on solar panels, too, but its better to have a higher current for cattle that a solar fence may not provide.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  5. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    It's 6 foot tall 2x4in welded wire held with wooden corners and t-posts along the fence line.

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say pull a strand of barbed wire or invest in a solar powered electric setup and run a hot wire to keep him off the welded...

7. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Ok, I like the idea of a strand of barbed wire

8. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    You could try Googleing cattle fencing

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Look at Premier1supplies.com for good products and good advice. One lonely steer need a friend, and good containment. Mary

10. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    most fences are just a suggestion for cows.

that being said a strong suggestion for your steer, would be a solar charger and a single or double strand of hot wire. super easy, especially since you already have the posts in the ground. the make insulators for t-post(the make them for either way the t post is facing), and wooden posts. relatively cheap insurance.

however, on the off chance, that you simply came on here for assertions that you don't need to do anything to keep your steer in the fence, leave it as is, and roll the proverbial dice.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by