Coyote Advice Sought

For small 4 legged predators I always grab a .223. All the power you need for them, light recoil and range if needed. A Ruger Mini-14 used to be cheap but looking up a pic for you I see they aren't anymore, around here you can pick up a used one for around $300 so that might be an option?

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/models.html

My weapon of choice has never let me down yet.

Fox3-16-10.jpg

Steve

Quote:
I need something fast loadingand reloading, light and easy to remove-saftey-&-shoot-now with little kick-back. I am slightly handicapped: Neropathy (weakness/lack of feeling) in my extramities, limp when walking, extremely sensitive shoulders due to sugeries, dislocations and radical mastectomy. I'm not as much as a mess as I make it sound but those are the facts. Previously on this thread it was reccomended by more than 1 this 17 HMR because it has no kick-back. I am not going shooting for defense of self from humans (which I assume would require a lager gun) I just need to protect mayself, family & livestock.
I need something portable & light. Sidearms in this state are illegal to wear however 30 years ago I was VERY competant shooting large caliber handguns in competition. Am I barking up the wrong tree having narrowed it down to the 17 HMR? My nearest neioghbor is 950' away. What I know about guns or coyotes could fill a teacup with room left for cream & sugar.
Funds are limited - as with most every one in this economy. Want the best multipurpose weapon which will fit all parameters. To protect us from bad intruders of the human kind would be a bonus but not required.

I normally suggest a 20 gauge shotgun for most people for varmit and protection because of the versatility. With the physical limitations you have and your previous experience with firearms I think Steve has the right answer. Although the .22 caliber is a bit underpowered for most people for coyote the Ruger 10/22 is likely the best gun for you and with your experience it will do the job at close range. Pricing for a good used 10/22 should be around $150 or so and .22 caliber ammo is cheap enough and light enough recoil to practice with.

A question also......can you not even wear a sidearm on your own property? Wow! In Kentucky along with being a "concealed carry" state we are also an "open carry" state. You can bet I have my Ruger Mark II on my side if I'm out around the place.

Larry

I have used rugers mark II's in various forms to bag a lot of small game and dispatch quite a few animals in traps from coyote size and downward I am approximate 50 feet out to point blank range when I dispatch a yote it kina depends on how well he is held my favorite Mark II was the 6 7/8" barrel I live on the coast and am kina fond of my guns being made of stainless steel ruger also made a revolver that had 2 different cylinders one was >22 magnum the other was just .22 LR. when dispatching a yote the autoloader give the option of one carefully placed shot or the ability to empty the magazine quickly and the recoil is slightly less

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom