Coyote Advice Sought

If I had a shotgun in that cosed area, I would have broke 4 windows on the shop, and the concrete wall to the left would have riccocheed them. It was very tight quarters.
What type of rifle (less expensive) do I need for the 17hmr? and I'd rather not have bolt action.

Quote:
Not sure where you got the notion that you would have had so much collateral damage from the shotgun, but if you were as close as you say, you would likely have put the entire shot wad into them if you were good with the gun. And if you missed, the shot column would not have been very spread until it got out quite a few feet. And ricochets are unheard with a shotgun. The lead pellets will flatten and deflect, but not officially ricochet. I have in my younger years shot at everything from washing machines to old junk cars.....a shotgun will not penetrate near as much as most people think. A shotgun with a short barrel (18" is legal minimum) is great for close encounters like the one you had. Easy to handle too....

As to the .17 HMR, is there any reason you don't like a bolt-action? The reason I ask is that the bolt gun is the most reliable (and arguably the safest) action there is. Also, the .22 magnum would be cheaper to shoot than the .17 HMR. Just my .02......

Quote:
Not sure where you got the notion that you would have had so much collateral damage from the shotgun, but if you were as close as you say, you would likely have put the entire shot wad into them if you were good with the gun. And if you missed, the shot column would not have been very spread until it got out quite a few feet. And ricochets are unheard with a shotgun. The lead pellets will flatten and deflect, but not officially ricochet. I have in my younger years shot at everything from washing machines to old junk cars.....a shotgun will not penetrate near as much as most people think. A shotgun with a short barrel (18" is legal minimum) is great for close encounters like the one you had. Easy to handle too....

As to the .17 HMR, is there any reason you don't like a bolt-action? The reason I ask is that the bolt gun is the most reliable (and arguably the safest) action there is. Also, the .22 magnum would be cheaper to shoot than the .17 HMR. Just my .02......

I need something fast loadingand reloading, light and easy to remove-saftey-&-shoot-now with little kick-back. I am slightly handicapped: Neropathy (weakness/lack of feeling) in my extramities, limp when walking, extremely sensitive shoulders due to sugeries, dislocations and radical mastectomy. I'm not as much as a mess as I make it sound but those are the facts. Previously on this thread it was reccomended by more than 1 this 17 HMR because it has no kick-back. I am not going shooting for defense of self from humans (which I assume would require a lager gun) I just need to protect mayself, family & livestock.
I need something portable & light. Sidearms in this state are illegal to wear however 30 years ago I was VERY competant shooting large caliber handguns in competition. Am I barking up the wrong tree having narrowed it down to the 17 HMR? My nearest neioghbor is 950' away. What I know about guns or coyotes could fill a teacup with room left for cream & sugar.
Funds are limited - as with most every one in this economy. Want the best multipurpose weapon which will fit all parameters. To protect us from bad intruders of the human kind would be a bonus but not required.

.17hmr is a very fast small bullet. Exspensive to shoot also. For around the farm I would suggest a Ruger 10/22. Small compact rifle. .22cal. 10 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger and cheap amo.

This is my .22 single shot Ithaca I use to dispatch coyotes and other unwanted predators. It has never let me down.

IMG_0805modified.jpg

try the Mossberg 500 Bantam. i prefer a 12-gauge chambered gun but for the beginner or for less kick i would suggest a .410 or 20-gauge. it's a youth/woman's gun. (for the ladies i say youth/woman's gun because it's shorter and lighter. tends to be more user friendly for 10 to 16 year old kids, or most women.) for coyotes i suggest buck shot. for smaller critters i would use #4's (turkey shot) or maybe #8's (bird/squirrel shot)

mossberg's site just scroll through the different guns in the series till you find one you like. http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=22&section=products

if
you are worried about the spread you can use slugs. i suggested the youth gun because you wanted something fast and easy. it's short. makes it a good home defense gun because you are less likely to bang the gun around on walls and doors.

Last edited:
Quote:

I need something fast loadingand reloading, light and easy to remove-saftey-&-shoot-now with little kick-back. I am slightly handicapped: Neropathy (weakness/lack of feeling) in my extramities, limp when walking, extremely sensitive shoulders due to sugeries, dislocations and radical mastectomy. I'm not as much as a mess as I make it sound but those are the facts. Previously on this thread it was reccomended by more than 1 this 17 HMR because it has no kick-back. I am not going shooting for defense of self from humans (which I assume would require a lager gun) I just need to protect mayself, family & livestock.
I need something portable & light. Sidearms in this state are illegal to wear however 30 years ago I was VERY competant shooting large caliber handguns in competition. Am I barking up the wrong tree having narrowed it down to the 17 HMR? My nearest neioghbor is 950' away. What I know about guns or coyotes could fill a teacup with room left for cream & sugar.
Funds are limited - as with most every one in this economy. Want the best multipurpose weapon which will fit all parameters. To protect us from bad intruders of the human kind would be a bonus but not required.

I normally suggest a 20 gauge shotgun for most people for varmit and protection because of the versatility. With the physical limitations you have and your previous experience with firearms I think Steve has the right answer. Although the .22 caliber is a bit underpowered for most people for coyote the Ruger 10/22 is likely the best gun for you and with your experience it will do the job at close range. Pricing for a good used 10/22 should be around $150 or so and .22 caliber ammo is cheap enough and light enough recoil to practice with.

A question also......can you not even wear a sidearm on your own property? Wow! In Kentucky along with being a "concealed carry" state we are also an "open carry" state. You can bet I have my Ruger Mark II on my side if I'm out around the place.

Larry

Last edited:
Quote:
The kick of a normal 12 gauge with buckshot is pretty significant, but I have a recommendation. Blackhawk makes an adjustable shotgun stock that is also recoil reducing. And it really does work. I know because I have one of those stocks. It truly makes the mule kick of a 12 gauge feel like nothing. I went to the range when I first got it and halfway through my clay pigeons I swapped out the factory stock for the blackhawk one. While most of it is proper shoulder placement of the stock, even the best placed shotgun can still pack a punch! With it being adjustable, you can change the length of the stock to what is most comfortable. It is an expensive accessory, but a win/win. I believe that the stock is compatible with some 20 gauge models as well.

Just one other option to consider. I hope you can find the perfect firearm for your needs so you can deal with the problem coyotes.

I would personally stay away from the rifle in your situation,

I have both a .22 and .17 and would only use the .17 for shooting a yote if it was called in.
The reason I suggest a shotgun is for 2 reasons.

First reason is the target area. A shotgun has a larger area for the one and only shot you are likeley to get.

The second reason is due to the high probability of a high velocity round ricochet.(sp?)
Which can be a huge issue with frozen ground and C.Q shooting.

I wish I could come over and help you out, but I am over 2 hours away.

just my.02

Dear Grim, Larry & Stacykins:

Hmmmm...I have little meat and no fat and thin, radiation compromised skin on my shoulder - they removed the right pectoral and I'm right handed and right eye dominate. That makes the choice ever so much more complicated. That recoil reducer sounds nice - but too expensive. I'll check into the 22s. Are you sure that can handle a coyote?
The picture of the rifle shows a pump - but from what you say it doesn't need to pump between shots???

150.00 is definitely in the price range. Hurray!!!!

NO, in Illinois you must have a FOID (firearm Owner IDentification) card to have a weapon in your possesion or on your proterty even if it's hidden in a locked safe in a locked closet and broken down. (Yeah I Know...Goofy). You may not under any circumstances WEAR it. We have 14+ acres surrounded by forest preserve. If the police came to the property for any reason (and they have gotten lost and asked how to get to somewhere nearby unaccessable from our property by vehicle) they would feel unsafe if anyone was wearing a weapon and so that is the law here. I understand, I just don't agree with it.

I'm not concerned with "banging the gun on walls & doors in the house", if I have to use it, that will be the least of my clean-up. However it does have to be light. My late husband's 45 "Dirty Harry" handgun, which I used to protect myself (unfortunately he was killed) inside our home, say 30 years ago, made a big mess as I missed twice - but in my defense, I'm not a proffessional police officer, and the first shot was with my left hand as we were in close quarters, my husband, hit in the head, had fallen over me, I grabbed our hidden gun, there was blood in my eyes and he was armed, the intruder was running after the 1st shot and I got him on the 3rd. (short version of long story).

That of course, was when I was a young healthy strong woman. I am much older now and not as strong. My new husband is a passifist and cannot even butcher our chickens. This is why I am asking for advice. I need to get the right weapon on the first purchase. A salesman will be working on comission. You "friends" out there know coyotes, weapons, and have no ulterior motives other than the good will in your hearts to assist a fellow human being with your knowlege.
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
the reason i mentioned banging around into walls and doors is not the mess. it's so you can bring the gun to bare quickly instead of having the gun get tangled at a critical moment. it's one of the reasons tactical weapons are so small.

a .22 can kill a coyote. however it's not going to stop him quickly unless you hit him in the head. head instant death, chest miss vitals he may live. hit lung he lives 10 min to a day. the heart, he lasts 1 to 30 min. gut shot 30 min to 3 or 4 days. back thigh may live or starve to death. the .17 is about the same. because of this i suggest a small gauge shotgun. .410 granted has slightly more kick, but a slug is almost twice the size of a .22 and you can load it with buck shot and get a spread. closer range but if you aren't a very good shot you are going to miss with the .22 anyway. not trying to be mean it's just easier to hit something with a basketball than a marble.

Back
Top Bottom