Coyote Advice Sought

Unfortunately, coyotes that show no fear of humans or aggression towards humans and pets have to be taught a lesson. By all means, throw things at them or hit them with something as others have said. This behavior is not tolerable and once they learn that people are not a threat, they will become more bold. I would also call animal control or a wildlife official and tell them of your close encounters. They may come and remove the coyote from the area and euthanize it.

ETA: I saw someone mentioned dog collars being found in a den. I know if one study somewhere near Los Angeles, it would found that the coyotes around there were mostly living off domestic cats and cats made up 75% of their diet or something like that. I don't know about dogs. Out in the desert, you see coyote-dog hybrids, so perhaps the large dogs become mates.

Last edited:
I'm betting that in today's economy bounties may have at least a temporary effect. Population rebound is a proven fact, but immediate relief and educated coyotes might not be a bad idea.

Quote:
The only problem is that is has never been shown that bounties work.

Bounties have worked many time when enough of a bounty is paid, most counties run out of funds is why most believe bounties do not work LOL

Quote:
I've scaled down my gun collection lately to just what I feel are "useful" guns. That means only .22 caliber handguns and rifles and 20 ga shotguns. The .22 cal "exploding" bullets (MPB Quik-shok) are ok but the penetration tests on gelatin blocks have shown only averaging an inch before they seperate into the three sections. CCI Stingers fair a little better. For best results using .22 ammo on varmits up to coyote I use Remington Viper .22LR solid point or Yellow Jacket .22LR hollow point. The truncated cone bullets with either of these gives more penetration and more wound channel area than many other loads and the Yellow Jacket still gives some expansion . I will advise shots of 50 yards or less on stopped coyote, and clean head shots if possible.

As I stated above, I've pared down my gun rack to hold only .22 caliber rifles and handguns and my reasoning is that if you have guns that are fun(or at least easy)and fairly inexpensive to shoot,you will use them more either hunting,target shooting or in practice and the more you shoot them the better shot you become. Also the more you shoot a gun the more it becomes natural and comfortable. I feel comfortable taking any game and most varmits with a .22 caliber Ruger MKII handgun and coyotes and large wild dogs with the rifle but that comes from several years of hunting and practice and anyone can do the same with practice and a little time.

When I'm out around the homestead I always have one of the .22 handguns on my side and sometimes either a .22 rifle or the 20 gauge close at hand. If you chose to live in the rural areas it's a good habit to have.

dirtsaver I had to chuckle at your post since I just traded my .20 double for a .22 mag that I outfitted with a scope and varmint light. This to go along with my old 142a Mossberg that is also scoped. The latter had brought down a lot of woodchucks and coons using LR, hollow points but I felt it might be a bit light if I needed to eliminate a coyote.

Bounty-
That only is good for coyotes harvested in Grundy County. (we live in Will County
sad.png
) An affidavit is required along with the address of the property they were harvested from. $350.00 had been donated by "Ducks Unlimted". Once the funds are dispersed, the bounty will no longer be paid.
22s -
The way an exploding bullet behaves in bullistic gel would be different than when it hits a bony, tough hided, muscular coyote....right?

Last edited:
Quote:
What kind of .22 mag do you have? Mine's a Marlin 882V I think, heavy-barreled, supposed to be more accurate than a standard barrel, but I don't know that it is.

Quote:
What kind of .22 mag do you have? Mine's a Marlin 882V I think, heavy-barreled, supposed to be more accurate than a standard barrel, but I don't know that it is.

Stevens 305 w/Tasco scope and 100 yd Primos varmint light. Most of my shooting will be within 100 yds, closer to 50 anyway. Sighted it in in target at 50 and was 5/5 in the black--that should stop anything bothering the birds.

The only 100% sure way to control predators is buy a dog of the white guardian class. Other wise you will loose things.. I have lived out here in now where land for 20yrs ( ok .. since 1992) and the only times my stock has been safe is when I had a dog that was of the white guardian variety) Great Pyrs are a good starter breed, I now have an Akbash and love him, however they are not for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom