Coyote Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ParadiseFoundFarm, Oct 29, 2010.

1. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    We have coyotes - never been a problem. We could see they were skittish about our chicken coop/tractor which moves 2 times a day. I THINK I am about to have a problem. This morning there were 2 coyotes circling our coop. Our very loud dog did the barking thing. They ignored the dog. My very perfect husband did the walking out there to scare them away thing. They ignored him! He was within 20 feet before they decided to move away. Then they went into the woods and returned after he had left. We own no guns. What say you out there?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. Farmington

Farmington Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Buy a shotgun. They don't fear you, and need to go.

3. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    x2. The coyote behavior will only escalate, especially as it gets colder and food becomes scarce. You have a choice, kill them or just give them your poultry and get it over with.

4. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Quote:x3. I am no gun advocate, but we have them for a reason and this is it.

5. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    You should never approach a wild member of the canine family without some form of protection.

You need to get rid of those 'yotes.

6. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Sounds like trouble to me, i agree with the prevous posters.Good idea to get a gun, more so if your approaching coyotes. There is no shortage of documented attacks on humans by coyotes, not to mention endless livestock attacks..

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    NYS DEC recommends showing no fear around coyotes, yell and throw things at them--preferably heavy things like rocks. Do not act like prey and run from them! Also make sure you are not leaving animal food or garbage where they can get at it and that goes for your neighbors. Do not get between them and their prey. If they aren't bothering your birds then they probably won't and will keep any of their kinds away but once they do they need to be taken out. Hunting/trapping them is the only way to be sure to instill a healthy--for you and them--fear of humans. Good luck

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  8. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    Ranchers around here set traps like the folks on the show Swamp people. You have to be willing to dispatch the yotes. We have a six foot chain link fence around our yard (2 acers). I have seen signs of their atemps to enter. I have been battling with my self whether to set a few.

9. Tommie D

Tommie D Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Wichita KS
  10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    In addition to not getting between them and their prey, you need to be absolutely certain not to get between them and their young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by