Coyote Advice Sought

ParadiseFoundFarm

Goddess of Good Things
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Joliet, IL
We have coyotes - never been a problem. We could see they were skittish about our chicken coop/tractor which moves 2 times a day. I THINK I am about to have a problem. This morning there were 2 coyotes circling our coop. Our very loud dog did the barking thing. They ignored the dog. My very perfect husband did the walking out there to scare them away thing. They ignored him! He was within 20 feet before they decided to move away. Then they went into the woods and returned after he had left. We own no guns. What say you out there?

Last edited:
x2. The coyote behavior will only escalate, especially as it gets colder and food becomes scarce. You have a choice, kill them or just give them your poultry and get it over with.

Sounds like trouble to me, i agree with the prevous posters.Good idea to get a gun, more so if your approaching coyotes. There is no shortage of documented attacks on humans by coyotes, not to mention endless livestock attacks..

NYS DEC recommends showing no fear around coyotes, yell and throw things at them--preferably heavy things like rocks. Do not act like prey and run from them! Also make sure you are not leaving animal food or garbage where they can get at it and that goes for your neighbors. Do not get between them and their prey. If they aren't bothering your birds then they probably won't and will keep any of their kinds away but once they do they need to be taken out. Hunting/trapping them is the only way to be sure to instill a healthy--for you and them--fear of humans. Good luck

Last edited:
Ranchers around here set traps like the folks on the show Swamp people. You have to be willing to dispatch the yotes. We have a six foot chain link fence around our yard (2 acers). I have seen signs of their atemps to enter. I have been battling with my self whether to set a few.

Back
Top Bottom