Coyote Advice Sought

Quote:
If Coyotes are working together and have already started the "circling" phase of the hunt there is no doubt your chickens are soon to be dinner for the 'yotes. There is only one way to prevent that from happening! Either get a shotgun or find a friend or neighbor that has one and kill the 'yotes ! A decent 20 gauge shotgun is easy to handle for most people,even women and older kids. DO NOT buy a handgun for this purpose unless you want to spend the time at a range to use it properly and become profecient with it.

Larry

4x be carefully of your dog coyote will bait and kill dogs.
old.gif

Agreed; never heard of any good option besides smokin' the things. As mentioned before, a 20-gauge is very easy to handle. A few rounds of well-placed buckshot will solve the problem.

Thank you all for the replys. I notice that all the repondents are not from wide open range places ant that makes me feel more confident. The "circling" behaviour being a prelude to disaster and the warning that they will attack us is very troubling. I will be asking my DH to read all your advices and we will discuss out options soon. Could anyone please expound on "baiting" of our dog? He's 80 lbs, almost 2 years old, shows no fear but runs loose around the 14 acres we have and that includes woods where we cannot see him. He has been agressive towards 1 dog in the past and I had to tear them apart. Otherwise he just wants to play with all forms of life : dogs, chickens, cats, bugs etc. I need to know what to look for.

In regards to "baiting" your dog. The coyotes will tempt the dog into going after them. One will confront him from the front, then the other will attack from the rear. The dog will not stand a chance against two, or more, of them. I'm all for taking them out too! If they are that unafraid of your hubby, then they are now posing a threat to the humans and the chickens. In the mean time, you might try some electric fencing around your chicken tractor. A solar powered charger works great when electricity is not near. I have one, and it has already paid for itself with one coyote so far. Get a shotgun, .20 gauge is ok, .12 gauge is better.

Quote:
Folks around here suggest hanging the yote corpse on a fence post to keep the others away. I have found this only attracts more predators, like skunks, coons, and possums, not to mention IT STINKS really bad in the summertime! Bury or burn, or take FAR away from house and chickens and let the others have them.

Quote:
I would use a rifle. I use a 223 caliber Winchester with a scope. You will have to be at close range with a shotgun. A 223 will reach out there . Most of the yotes I have killed were at least 100 yards from me. Yotes, have great senses. They will come to calls such as a distressed rabbit. Good luck !!!!

Quote:
I would use a rifle. I use a 223 caliber Winchester with a scope. You will have to be at close range with a shotgun. A 223 will reach out there . Most of the yotes I have killed were at least 100 yards from me. Yotes, have great senses. They will come to calls such as a distressed rabbit. Good luck !!!!

These folks are not used to firearms, so they would have to learn to shoot a rifle to be accurate. 100 yards away to me, is an animal just traveling through. The first encounters I had with coyotes, was about 21 years ago. It was SIX of them 20 feet from my front door, 10 feet from my then rabbit shed. I did not have a gun at that point, so I had a shovel near the house. Threw it at them, and they just stepped aside from being hit. The dog and I slunk back into the house! Next day I bought a Winchester pump 12 ga. Knew nothing about any type of gun, but took a brief lesson from a local hunter. That same night, the pack of 6 returned. At 20' I got two of them the first night! One came back several nights later, he was also made history. Never had any of the others come back. In the place I am now, I've had one come into the yard about a month ago. He got zapped by the electric fence, and haven't seen him since.

Back
Top Bottom