Coyote Attack Help!

So I went to the store this morning and couldnt find betadine but i grabbed another thing that was a spray and said it kills infections in cuts so im trying that. I also picked up a foaming neosporin and applied lots of that after washing out the would with peroxide and spraying it with this stuff I got, bactine. Hopefully it helps. Its been about 3hrs and the smell isnt as strong, or im just getting immune to it. Argh. If I can kill this infection Im almost positive she'll live.

I took as best of a picture as I could..
This is what its looking like, it looks absolutley horrible and I dont know if Im cleaning it too much.. but it looks really infected
sad.png

Is it possible to clean it too much? I know peroxide dries things up so if I use that too much is it bad??

She doesnt seem to be in any pain, shes not panting, shes moving around, eating, drinking, everything shes done before, its just this stupid infection!

IMG_0317.jpg

Please to not use Peroxide....through research it has been found to deter healing. Betadine solution wipe off the wound daily - if there is a puncture get a syringe and irrigate (flush out the hole daily). It needs to heal from the inside out. Good Luck

I've never had a wound like that, but as a human RN, my first thought was that some of that is fat. But, it shouldn't smell. Even saline is better than peroxide. Betadine is great too.

Thanks you guys. The smell is getting a little better, ive stopped using peroxide and I just got home after going to a few stores.. I found Betadine! Im going to try this and try to clean it as best as I can. Shes still doing great. I made her an egg and shes aten all that so shes definatley eating still!

Hi, Bunny Momma here!
bun.gif

You can find Betadine at any drug store, it is a must have. Try to get some as soon as you can, put some on a cotton ball and gently dampen the area. Start in the center and work in circles from the inside out. As you are applying the betadine, make sure to cover the wound and the area outside of the wound as well. About 1/2 inch outside the wound is sufficient. Apply this twice each day. And the antibiotic you are giving is a good thing too! You might want to give her some yogurt everyday while she is taking the antibiotics.
If you absolutely cannot get any betadine, you can make a saline solution from 1/2 teaspoon of table salt, and 8 ounces of warm water.
Apply the saline solution in the same manner as you would the betadine. Use it 3 times a day instead of 2. Also, keep using the antiseptic (Betadine or Saline) until the odor is no longer present, and the scar tissue is thickening.
Be watchful of using the neosporin, as it is greasy. Sometimes it makes things worse, so pay close attention to that.
I hope this helps!
Prayers are coming your way!
frow.gif
hugs.gif

That wound is very similar to the one I dealt with in a hen last year. The only difference is my hen's wound was a lot larger. First- trim the feathers all around so they aren't contaminating the wound constantly. The yellow is adipose tissue, also known as fat. As long as the wound has a stink you need to clean it with either betadine tea (one part betadine to 10 parts water) or peroxide. You should not concerned about the wound healing right at this moment as much as you need to be concerned about an infection. You are going to need some antibiotics regardless. Animals bites are filthy, so an infection is pretty much a given. I picked up antibiotics at my local agriculture store, but I forget what is was (Terramycin? maybe) I used Blukote wound dressing on my hen. I started out using Neosporin, but my hen's wound covered her entire back and down her sides and the Neosporin chilled her when it was covering such a large area. As the wound healed I switched over to using Neosporin a few times a week to prevent the wound from drying out too much and the exposed muscle and fatty tissue becoming dessicated. It's your choice which product you want to use. Both are good and effective. Blukote contains alcohol so it burns going on, I will warn you. Do not bother to bandage the wound unless you have Vet wrap/Coban because bandages won't stay put and they made my bird more inclined to pick at the area being covered. Your hen's skin has been removed, so it will be a long time in growing back. She will likely never get feathers back in the area. Keep her where she can be warm and dry. Feed her lots of protein rich foods.

Gosh you guys are all so informative, I love it. Im constantly checking back to see if theres any more information posted! Her wound is looking a little better since I used the betadine, still smelly though but still not as bad. I sprayed her once more again with the anti-infection stuff also before bedtime. Something I just noticed though, shes not putting much weight on her leg thats on the same side as her wound. I dont know if I just didnt notice it at first or what, Ive just been so distracted by the wound, but Im hoping its just something small, she limps on it but its not too bad.

Anyways, going to keep up with just the betadine morning and afternoon and then maybe neosporin once a day. Shes been in my house since I found her after the attack, we've got her in a baby pen in the dining room. Ive already been giving her yogurt and eggs for protein.

Oh, also, has anyone ever heard of giving a chicken garlic to help prevent internal infections?? I read a post about that earlier today.. wouldnt hurt to try, is it okay to give garlic to a chicken??

Thanks again!

You can give a chicken garlic, but it is of limited therapeutic value. Why mess about with garlic when there are better alternatives available in the form of antibiotics?

The limping is likely from other injuries she acquired in the attack, especially if it is on the same side as the wound. She probably feels like she got hit by a truck! Poor girl.

Back
Top Bottom