Coyote Deterrent

Once my mom say a wolf type thing (or something doglike) while me and my siblings were at school. She had to chase it off with a butcher l knife a few times but that’s because it actually was afraid of her.

Illinois allows coyote hunting year around but you will need a deer license during deer season. This time of year you don't have to worry about that. Ck with the Illinois Dept of Natural Resources for more info. Any caliber is suitable and allowed. Bait and shoot is allowed.

Buying predator pee?! We are the ultimate predator! Human pee, dominant human pee works great and it’s free.
It may at first but deer, coyotes, Fox,and raccoons will eventually become habituated to the scent and won’t give it a second thought afterwards. I guarantee this to be true and without other deterrents your likely to be just pissing in the wind.
No offense meant to anyone.

It may at first but deer, coyotes, Fox,and raccoons will eventually become habituated to the scent and won’t give it a second thought afterwards. I guarantee this to be true and without other deterrents your likely to be just pissing in the wind.
No offense meant to anyone.
Oh no, that sounds very likely. People are really spread out here and surrounded by wilderness so the predators probably aren’t habituated to the scent where predators around more populated areas probably wouldn’t give it a second thought. Good point

I am so sorry for your losses that’s terrible. I’ve heard you could buy coyote pee online like Amazon and put it around your property. I have had no issues with them (knock on wood). I also have a fenced in half ache with neighbors with lots of dog. That’s unusual that he’s alone I assume it’s a male for being so bold. They are usually in a pack I can hear them in my back yard but, I always supervise I go out every hour to check. I do head counts and I put them away and let them out after sun rise, and before sun set.
100% "normal" for it to be alone. Coyotes aren't wolves. They don't tend to hunt in packs.

I am so sorry for your losses that’s terrible. I’ve heard you could buy coyote pee online like Amazon and put it around your property. I have had no issues with them (knock on wood). I also have a fenced in half ache with neighbors with lots of dog. That’s unusual that he’s alone I assume it’s a male for being so bold. They are usually in a pack I can hear them in my back yard but, I always supervise I go out every hour to check. I do head counts and I put them away and let them out after sun rise, and before sun set.
As a life long trapper, I can tell you I use gallons of urine every year to attract coyotes to my sets. If you want more coyotes around use urine. They will come and check it out.

Kill it, or it will be back. Center fire rifle would be my go to in this situation, though he should be easy to catch in a foot hold trap, being as bold as he is.

I'm so sorry for your losses. We had one jump our wall in broad daylight and take a chicken. I don't know what your setup is like, but we installed coyote rollers on the top of our block wall. We haven't had any trouble since. I have game cams out and while we don't leave them out as often as we used to so that probably helps as well, I haven't caught one in the yard again. I would say if you don't have walls it's best to try to kill it or trap it and have it taken care of by someone else. They always come back if they know food is there.

Buying predator pee?! We are the ultimate predator! Human pee, dominant human pee works great and it’s free.
Only works if the animals are not habituated, and it sounds as if this coyote is habituated to humans. I have seen where fox and coyotes have urinated the same place as me in the snow. That being said, I am old and perhaps no longer regarded as dominant. :p

Back
Top Bottom