Coyote got all but one roo. Question?

blessedchickenmama7

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Western NC
Last Friday coyotes decimated our small flock, leaving only one roo. A RIR who is almost a year old. He's a good roo, very smart. He was lightly injured but is doing fine.

My question is this: I have juveniles that need to go into the big pen. I don't want to boot him out and put him by himself, but I don't know what he might do. With the hens there there was always a time of getting used to one another but they weren't usually vicious. He seems very agitated now when anyone or thing besides myself or son comes near now. I was hoping he'd gratefully accept more to protect but know that's probably wishful thinking. With him being the only one in the pen now, does that affect how I should integrate? Or should I even try?

Wow, sorry to hear about your loss!!
sad.png

You could keep him in a dog crate or such inside the pen you introduce them together. They need to see each other in the same pen area so they can get used to each other. Do this for a few days, then when you have the time, let him out with the others so you can moderate them being together. It may take a few days to "incorporate" them.
This will also allow him to calm down from his near death experience.
How juvenile? If there is a big age difference, then its likely that there will be a bloody pecking order. You may want to keep them separated until the juvies are aged more...

I agree with Big C. I would give them the pen for a few days to let them establish "ownership" of it...then slowly introduce the roo back in. He should be less likely to attack if he sees the pen as theirs rather than his.

Good luck, and so sorry to hear about your loss
hugs.gif

Okay. Thank you all. I will try to crate him, but I'm not sure I have one tall enough for him to stand up in. He's a big boy, lol. I may have to make a temp bachelor pad for him. There is a large age difference.

Introducing a roo to hens is much better than introducing new hens to new hens. A roo just melts in like nothing really happened. I would get him some girls soon. He will be happier.

And I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom