Coyote proble

chilling_witpeeps

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
I have a coyote problem I have my chickens but there are some coyotes living close by and it is making me nervous but I do have a good idea of where it may be. What should I do

Lock up your chickens and go on a coyote hunt.
big_smile.png
Seriously your little chickies smell like KFC to those coyotes...

welcome-byc.gif

X2 Look up the predators and pest section. Some places you can shoot them, some places you can't. You have to look up your county ordinances. Also, be careful when disposing, they have fleas

Welcome!

Welcome from Northern California.
frow.gif
You definitely should get your chickens into a secure enclosure. I don't think hunting the coyote is necessarily a good idea, there may be laws governing it and it's not likely that you can or should wipe out every coyote in your area. Just my two cents.

First things first: Welcome to BYC!
big_smile.png

As for the coyotes, I highly recommend putting an electric wire around your coop and run. We have three strands, the first strand being about 3" off the ground with the highest strand at 5'. We see and hear them pretty much every night and have even seen them during the day time but they don't challenge the electric fence. It also helps that we have a 120 pound watch dog.

I think it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to kill all the coyotes that threaten your chickens. In my opinion, it's best to make sure your coop and run are as secure as possible. An electric fence, if you can do it, works wonders.

Hello and Welcome!
I agree with those who say keep your chickens protected. Even if all the coyotes were gone, there are other predators out there looking for a fresh meal.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom