Coyote proble

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chilling_witpeeps, May 3, 2011.

1. chilling_witpeeps

chilling_witpeeps New Egg

Mar 12, 2011
    I have a coyote problem I have my chickens but there are some coyotes living close by and it is making me nervous but I do have a good idea of where it may be. What should I do

2. Pairie Faring

Pairie Faring Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Dodge City
    Lock up your chickens and go on a coyote hunt. [​IMG] Seriously your little chickies smell like KFC to those coyotes...

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
  4. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    I agree with Pairie, Coyote Hunt and also [​IMG]

5. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    [​IMG]

X2 Look up the predators and pest section. Some places you can shoot them, some places you can't. You have to look up your county ordinances. Also, be careful when disposing, they have fleas

Welcome!

6. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] You definitely should get your chickens into a secure enclosure. I don't think hunting the coyote is necessarily a good idea, there may be laws governing it and it's not likely that you can or should wipe out every coyote in your area. Just my two cents.

7. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    First things first: Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

As for the coyotes, I highly recommend putting an electric wire around your coop and run. We have three strands, the first strand being about 3" off the ground with the highest strand at 5'. We see and hear them pretty much every night and have even seen them during the day time but they don't challenge the electric fence. It also helps that we have a 120 pound watch dog.

I think it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to kill all the coyotes that threaten your chickens. In my opinion, it's best to make sure your coop and run are as secure as possible. An electric fence, if you can do it, works wonders.

8. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

*Agreed with above Poster about you coyotes* [​IMG]

9. leslierf

leslierf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Tucson area
    Hello and Welcome!
    I agree with those who say keep your chickens protected. Even if all the coyotes were gone, there are other predators out there looking for a fresh meal.[​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by