coyote scare on Halloween

synoviaus

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Blountsville, ALabama
Any of you lose a dog or cat to coyotes? I had a coyote come into my back yard this morning! The chickens and the Bluetick Coonhounds were making enough noise to wake the dead, so I looked out our window. Even my house dog was growling. Well, then my 4 mos. old puppy comes tearing up on our back porch. She got as close to the door as possible and tight as a ball and just shaking. The chickens came running from the field toward the hounds. They stopped in a cluster near Jane's kennel. I could see something moving through the brush. At first, I thought it was a stray dog or big cat. Then it trotted right up into the yard in broad daylight. He stopped near Lance's truck. He was about 50 feet from the back porch! He was just standing there looking around. I think he was considering whether he could grab the puppy off the porch before we could get him! Scared me and all the animals silly! I ran and got Lance up with the gun. When Lance got there he was gone. Then about fifteen minutes later the noise started up again. Sure enough he was back! The time, he came up between the blueticks and almost made it into the front yard. I went out the front and Lance went out the back. This time the chickens came on the porch and the puppy ran inside. Lance got a shot off at him, but he don't think he hit him. He was running back into the brush. I'm keeping a gun ready if he decides to come back. Whew!! I'm glad I didn't sleep in this morning. I would probably be without my puppy! Amy

Last edited:
I guess I should also mention that this coyote or maybe coydog was huge! Bigger than a German Shepherd! He had a reddish tan coat and looked fat and healthy! It scares me that he's not acting afraid of people or Coonhounds!! Amy

Last edited:
Scary! I would keep that puppy in a safe place until you know the coyote is gone.
smile.png

Yes..they will take your pup..
They usually lure them off and the pack attacks and kiills them.
I'd be real worried if i were you right now..
Can you let the pup sleep inside? or something..

And yes, they will also eat cats...

The coyotes are really bad near my mom. They have attacked the neighbors dogs. It was dark, the dogs were out for their last potty break and the owner was out with them, but one stepped out of the circle of light from the porch and one nailed him. Fortunately it seems the coyotes teeth got hung up on his collar and the woman screaming and he dropped him and ran. The dog was rushed to an emergency vet and lived. My said she has seen the coyotes in her back yard three times now, they come up the path through the woods and pop into the back yard. She had a small yorkie and would only take her out on a leash in the early morning and evenings but normally let her out during the day but was even rethinking that after the coyote showed up during the day! Unfortunately they just lost their yorkie to cancer. They are afraid to get another dog because of this ongoing problem! Oh and by the way, this is suburbia!

Back
Top Bottom