Coyote trapping

Here in South Texas, coyotes travel/hunt in groups...3 to 5 sometimes more. I've watch them stalk jackrabbits and trade off stalking until they wore the jackrabbit down and caught it. They have ganged up on cows calving here, too!...waiting for the cow to give birth, then running in and taking the calf. Actually, stalking the cows.
I've seen them hunting in broad daylight, too. Usually by themselves but also in groups or pairs. Usually their main stay prey is scarce when seen hunting in mid day or early afternoon hours.

Well that’s new to me! They usually don’t in here in southern Indianan unless the food is scarce. I always compare place to mine even though places are different and the animals behave differently.

Coyotes here have been known to double team my dogs in order to get my chickens.
One gets the attenation of the dogs and they give chase in one direction. Then while that is happening the other coyote dashes in from the opposite direction and grabbs a chicken.
Also they have been known to prey on dogs. one coyote luring your dog a distance from your house. Then into an area where the rest of the coyote pack ambushes and tears the dog appart.
This has happened to several people in this area.

Well that’s new to me! They usually don’t in here in southern Indianan unless the food is scarce. I always compare place to mine even though places are different and the animals behave differently.
Yep, different locals, scarcity of prey, etc...play different roles in animal behavior in different regions.
In North Texas, coyotes do travel/hunt in packs, I've seen as many as a dozen in one pack....while hunting them at night with a spot light....back in the day, the neighbors and I would ride around all night hunting them, there were so many coyotes back then, we'd take sometimes as many as 8 in a night. Didn't seem to hurt the population, they were pretty resourceful, too!

Yep, different locals, scarcity of prey, etc...play different roles in animal behavior in different regions.
In North Texas, coyotes do travel/hunt in packs, I've seen as many as a dozen in one pack....while hunting them at night with a spot light....back in the day, the neighbors and I would ride around all night hunting them, there were so many coyotes back then, we'd take sometimes as many as 8 in a night. Didn't seem to hurt the population, they were pretty resourceful, too!

They are a problem predator here but due to the abundance of prey I rarely see more than two together. They are a shot on sight only if they are attacking prey here or it’s coyote season.

Coyotes here have been known to double team my dogs in order to get my chickens.
One gets the attenation of the dogs and they give chase in one direction. Then while that is happening the other coyote dashes in from the opposite direction and grabbs a chicken.
Also they have been known to prey on dogs. one coyote luring your dog a distance from your house. Then into an area where the rest of the coyote pack ambushes and tears the dog appart.
This has happened to several people in this area.
Yep, had a pack of coyotes tried to attack my Weimeraner one day while I was out hunting. She came running back to me with 5 coyotes in hot pursuit...I shot 3 before the other 2 turned and ran the opposite direction.

Yep, had a pack of coyotes tried to attack my Weimeraner one day while I was out hunting. She came running back to me with 5 coyotes in hot pursuit...

She might make a good “trolling” dog, lol

I don’t know if you’re aware of how those work but basically the dog is trained to let the coyotes chase her and bring them back to the hunter...

...it’s pretty effective where there is open ground to see... it’s basically the exploitation of the coyote pack’s desire to remove competing canines from their territory.

She might make a good “trolling” dog, lol

I don’t know if you’re aware of how those work but basically the dog is trained to let the coyotes chase her and bring them back to the hunter...

...it’s pretty effective where there is open ground to see... it’s basically the exploitation of the coyote pack’s desire to remove competing canines from their territory.
Yeah, but that wasn't the case. Normally the coyotes wouldn't come around the house or too close to the barn but this was in 'their' territory as far as they were concerned...what got me is they kept after her eventhough they saw me! She wasn't a small Weimer either, stood 30" at her shoulders.

Last edited:
My best suggestion is predator proofing your coop and run the best you can, hardware cloth/ chicken wire buried and about 6 inches out, deters digging critters, hardware cloth along the sides of the run, I have solid floors in my coop so that if a animal managed to dig it's self into the run, they could not dig into the coop, the coop is roofed.. and then for the final bit of protection, they are locked in at night.. if you use motion detection, you will need to move it as they are smart and will become use to it.. As for relocating? all you are doing is passing your problem along to someone else.. As for my means of disposal? a hole in my back yard.. Now this is going to sound gross, but I've heard that human urine spread around a area will help to deter them, you could also go to the nearest hunting store or feed store and see what they recommend to deter them.

Back
Top Bottom