Coyotes took 10 birds in broad daylight

I'm so sorry! We have electric fencing, and it's great, but needs that constant checking.
One of my own dogs killed many of my birds this spring when the Invisible fence 'motherboard' died, so she could get under the 5' dog fence. Another fail on my part, not realizing that she was getting too close to the fence, and birds died over it.
Predators are smart opportunists, and everyone does love chicken. :hit
Mary

d
I'm so sorry! We have electric fencing, and it's great, but needs that constant checking.
One of my own dogs killed many of my birds this spring when the Invisible fence 'motherboard' died, so she could get under the 5' dog fence.
If I may gloat, our dog loves the chicks and spends time with her nose pressed up against the little peepers down in the brooder. She even helps me herd the older (5 weeks) ones who have learned a 5'9" fence is too short to keep them in. It is temporary until we have open ranged birds....

I hated to "

I hated to "like" this. Can you post pictures of your run to the treeline? I would be interested to know how far the varmints strayed from their haunts. How long has your run been up?
I understand your hate to like. I’m not a fan of letting them “go”either. I had a choice at that moment. Catch the Shih Tzu ( big dog, little body syndrome) or focus on the big dogs.
I’ll get some pics going as soon as I’m done work.

So sorry you lost your birds!:( I know the feeling. We had a bunch of neighborhood pet dogs go on killing spree and the fence wasn’t working, so we had a lot of dead goats and fowl. What’s worse, the mean devilish rooster was fine! I hope you get rid of you Coyotes! Good luck!

3241040A-F501-44FD-920D-202BCA5273FB.jpeg View attachment 1862536 I only got one pic off before my phone died. The fence is about 150 feet from the left tree line.
But the coyotes came from the trees behind. You see the faint tire tracks in the grass? Not the most noticeable ones. Just to the right of those is the path they entered and departed.

Wow, that is a beautiful view. Distance didn't seem to bother them. I wonder if a light in the area would help keep them away. It is a sad loss.

There’s a motion sensor light pointed in that direction. But I don’t think it’ll do much good seeing how it was a day attack. And to answer your other question about how long the set up has been there... Since last spring.
I move the birds to the mares shelter in the winter. Where there’s power for a heated water bowl. But this year I’m building a more permanent structure. Something predator proof.

Back
Top Bottom