Coyotes took 10 birds in broad daylight

Frogorf

Chirping
Aug 13, 2018
edmonton
You know how you get an uneasy feeling sometimes and you shrug it off? Well I had that feeling this afternoon while sitting at home. And ignored it.
Now first off, my chooks don't live in town with me. They're actually at my place of business ( except for the young chicks ) outside my friends house at the back of the property.
I was there this morning to let them out, into their electric fenced run. My friend saw them at lunch and again at 4 pm. I came to put them away at 7pm. And found I only have 3 birds left out of 13. Found feathers but no birds.
My Dogs and my friends dogs immediately circled the electric fence then took off into the tree line. so I think I may have just missed the attack. They returned about 10 minutes later with my poor deceased rooster and a young pullet, and a couple battle wounds.
No I don't openly allow my dogs to chase coyotes. I'll get into that on a different thread. Or later in this one.

This was completely human error! I messed up big time and I hope people can learn from my mistakes and not have to endure a massacre such as this.
Check your electric fence daily or more! Go buy one of those volt metres and physically walk the parameter. We have had thunderstorms and high winds for a few days. The grass is long on the outside of the fence and I didn't see the tree branch laying on the bottom strands of the poultry netting. Which in turn made my fence not work.
So I'm guessing the coyotes have never been near the fence before this. Or they test it daily?. Who knows. I'm guessing they'll most likely return now unless, the dogs reminded them, that this is their territory? So I'm leaving my remaining birds in their completely enclosed run inside the fence for a few days. And borrowing a friends game camera to monitor the area and find out just what the coyotes are up to.
Cheers all. Keep them safe.

You know how you get an uneasy feeling sometimes and you shrug it off? Well I had that feeling this afternoon while sitting at home. And ignored it.
Now first off, my chooks don't live in town with me. They're actually at my place of business ( except for the young chicks ) outside my friends house at the back of the property.
I was there this morning to let them out, into their electric fenced run. My friend saw them at lunch and again at 4 pm. I came to put them away at 7pm. And found I only have 3 birds left out of 13. Found feathers but no birds.
My Dogs and my friends dogs immediately circled the electric fence then took off into the tree line. so I think I may have just missed the attack. They returned about 10 minutes later with my poor deceased rooster and a young pullet, and a couple battle wounds.
No I don't openly allow my dogs to chase coyotes. I'll get into that on a different thread. Or later in this one.

This was completely human error! I messed up big time and I hope people can learn from my mistakes and not have to endure a massacre such as this.
Check your electric fence daily or more! Go buy one of those volt metres and physically walk the parameter. We have had thunderstorms and high winds for a few days. The grass is long on the outside of the fence and I didn't see the tree branch laying on the bottom strands of the poultry netting. Which in turn made my fence not work.
So I'm guessing the coyotes have never been near the fence before this. Or they test it daily?. Who knows. I'm guessing they'll most likely return now unless, the dogs reminded them, that this is their territory? So I'm leaving my remaining birds in their completely enclosed run inside the fence for a few days. And borrowing a friends game camera to monitor the area and find out just what the coyotes are up to.
Cheers all. Keep them safe.
I'm so sorry! It's true that electric fencing does need attention. Thank you for the reminder!

So sorry you lost most of your flock ! One good thing has come out of your sad story ! I learned coyote are very bad and can kill off your flock ! I had no idea they where so brazen and persistant ! Glad I read your post so I can be more careful in future
Oh boy howdy those coyotes are really something! A woman I know had a chicken grabbed right in front of her and her fat little dog who was on a leash! It just darted out of the bushes and bam! Gone!

Sorry about your loss. I have also lost birds to a coyote in the past. I do have electric wire around my coops and pens and I check it daily. Most of the time it's working good but there have been times when it hasn't so then I walk around and find the trouble spot. Here we have a lot of coyotes and hardly a night goes by when I don't see one on at least one of the game cameras. Once in a great while I have seen coyotes during the day but mostly at night. It's hot here during the days so they stay in their dens then.

I hated to "
I hated to "like" this. Can you post pictures of your run to the treeline? I would be interested to know how far the varmints strayed from their haunts. How long has your run been up?

Last nights visitor. Surprisingly I didn't get any pictures out by the coops last night. The camera out there did go off but nothing on it.
DSCF0003730 01.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0003730 02.jpg
    DSCF0003730 02.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom