coyotes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stilldeb, Jul 2, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Went out yesterday to check on my chooks and there's a (small) coyote loping across the yard. First time I have EVER seen one in the yard. We are surrounded by farmland, currently in corn, so there is plenty of cover, and everyone knows they are around, but never seen one so bold as to come up by the house, and it was still light outside, too.

So...what is the best protection against coyotes? I don't have a gun, never held one in my life, other than a high-powered pellet gun, which my son has now.

deb g

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    close in <50 yards a .22 magnum works, in a trap<20 feet away a .22 short serves nicely and is quiet too

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    May just be a young one passing through--mom's got cubs so time for last year's brood to find new territory. Unless there is a lot of wooded cover he won't hang around, especially once the corn is harvested.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Go either with a tall welded wire or woven wire run with a skirt or electric fence. Electric is easy to set up and move, inexpensive, and when done right, will stop everything from opposun to griz!

5. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I have coyotes run through my yard and keep on going, they are usually heading for their den area. We are on 5 acres and the state has reclaimed wetlands to my east property line so there is a lot of brush and water fowl on that parcel. There a LOTS of rabbits out day & evening which I am sure are a great source of food for them. Its never been an issue for my chickens that have free run of the barn/yard and house area. I am seeing more young coyotes which is no surprise. pups are getting older and moving on. When they get to singing at night I can hear about 3 distinct packs on all sides fairly close.

6. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Young coyotes are struggling to survive on their own right now so will be bolder about going in for what looks like an easy meal. You did not say what kind of living arrangements you have for your birds, but I'd make sure to keep them safely penned in a covered run (coyotes can climb very well) and safely locked in a building at night.

7. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

from my experience coyotes are jumpers. they can get over a 5' fence. most leap on the top wire and pull themselves over. that's why you put a "Hot" wire on top and one about 4-6" out the back side towards the direction there coming in from. that stops about 95% of them and anything else that would climb. as for the jumpers they are a bit harder to stop. usually the mature coyotes with some skill have it down. they don't get caught up in the fence by clearing it all together.

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You live waiout on a faaam honey you need to get some protection!!! [​IMG]

9. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    My pens are covered and the coops are shut up tight all night. Everything is within eyesight of my kitchen window. Thinking about getting some electric fencing to go around, but it's true we do have a LOT of rabbits around which might be a lot less work to get for dinner than breaking into a chicken pen.

I'm not bad with a pellet gun, heck, I used to be pretty good with a bow and arrow, but I just know I'd "shoot my eye out" with a real gun.

deb g

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Personally I'm not fond of pellet guns, if I'm going to shoot something I want it dead, not injured and running off. I am generally live and let live about wildlife but when I get a bold coyote coming right into the yard my husband will take care of it. That has only happened once. I do see them trotting through the fields regularly.

Basically, if your chickens are secure coyote won't be a problem, if they are not he will take advantage, of course. I too use a few strands of hot wire to really discourage any who may give it a try. One touch of the nose to that and they leave at top speed, same goes for dogs, you name it. It's easy to put up, inexpensive and very effective.

A big dog is a great help provided he is smart enough to handle coyotes. Our neighbor's have a Catahoula who is very active in running off coyotes. A coyote howled on our place one night and I heard that dog start barking, he was here in no time taking care of the problem. Good boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by