Coyotes!!!!

i saw a half grown coyote run across my front yard this morning. i have two german shepherds in the back. the chickens are in an open topped run on the side. will the coyotes risk the dogs to get to the chickens?
German shepherds are good size dogs. The coyotes shouldn't mess with them but ya never know. If the coyotes come in force with others and they out number the dogs, there may be an issue. Most people say dogs are good to keep coyotes and other varmints away. Good luck!

we have very brave coyotes around here:) My backyard is fenced (1/2 acre) and I have a german shepherd and two aussies that definately keep the critters at bay. My chicks are not outside yet, but because of hawks (which we have tons of!) I have a big enclosed run as well as locking them in at night.

My dogs are a good deterrent tho they are not outside unattended. and having my area fenced in (the yard) AND the chicken area, hopefully we'll be safe..

we have very brave coyotes around here:) My backyard is fenced (1/2 acre) and I have a german shepherd and two aussies that definately keep the critters at bay. My chicks are not outside yet, but because of hawks (which we have tons of!) I have a big enclosed run as well as locking them in at night.

My dogs are a good deterrent tho they are not outside unattended. and having my area fenced in (the yard) AND the chicken area, hopefully we'll be safe..
A friend of mine has hawk problems ( have hawks but haven't lost any chickens yet to them). He put a pole in the center of his fenced-in yard and then strung string/wire from the center to various points all around the fence. Kinda of like an umbrella without fabric. The birds can't get in because of the wires interfer with their wings.

Coyote's are smart for a reason. They watch and learn, survey the area where they hunt. Even if you didn't realize you did, you have a habit. They have learned it. They know what time your out in the morning, what time you go back in, etc. In those instances where you aren't RIGHT THERE they will strike. I have a bad coyote problem here in the piney woods. I mean BAD. Last year I took out almost 14 coyotes BEFORE summer hit full blazed heat. By the end of last year? Almost 30.

The biggest issues with these mangy mutts, is they learn. They advance. Look at the differences in Suburban coyotes and Rural coyotes. They've adapted to their new environment.

This post really helped me a lot! Earlier this week I lost 9 chickens-which cut my happy flock in half! It is devastating. My rooster, Frank, was among the casualties. My babies have been free range since we "harvested" some meat chickens over a year ago. (I refuse to eat them-perrsonal choice). I can't explain the joy I got from looking out and watching their antics-laughing-or when I would go outside and they would all come running to me! Such moments! My husband and I both had actually seen a coyote, in broad daylight, right by the flippen house, on 2 separate occasions, within the past two weeks. The fist time I saw it, I ran right at it screaming and yelling, and it ran off. The second time my husband heard a ruckus outside and went to investigate-he came face to face with a coyote coming around a corner of the house. He ran to get the gun, but, of course it was too late, the jerk was long gone. I REALLY wish I had thought about them coming back. I thought perhaps if we scared them, they would give up. Now, my remaining 10 babies are locked up in the coop, light sensor door deactivated, until we set the traps and get the JERKS that got my chickens. I patrol with the shotgun or .357 now in early afternoon when I get home from work. My husband is hunting up north for a week, and when he gets back the chicken yard will be riddled with traps. Thanks for the information in this post. I just love BYC-it has taught me a lot!

Well thank you very much Roe! Last night I took my 3 little maltese out after dark. I don't let them go outside alone in the dark because I live in the woods. Even tho they have a fenced area to go out in I still don't trust either of them coyotes or my dogs. You know small dogs think they are 10 foot tall! And my male got under the fence chasing a coon once. At 2:00 in the morning my little malty was in the woods. But that is another story, As I was bringing them in I heard the coyotes yipping not far from the house. I rushed them in and got my gun out and kept watch over my coop. I have a motion light on it. And a totally enclosed run. My girls were locked down tight. They never came into the yard. Now this morning I went to let them out and I have 7 week old chicks that I put in a separate run that is not as secure as the big girls run. I came here this morning to see if I should be worried about them in the broad daylight. And you have answered my question by bringing up this old post. Thank you so much. I am going to have to keep a real close eye on them. I can't wait until I move them in with the big girls! I never free range my girls because of the predators in my area!

Last edited:
Roe, I'm sorry about your chickens. At night a few times I've heard the dog barking at coyotes or foxes. I hate to say it but we are thinking about calling the state hunter after our neighbor moves his cows out of the pasture for the winter. There are just so many coyotes down there that I'm sure that they will make their way into our barns by this coming spring. There isn't anything for them to eat this winter.

Ok, so glad I found this thread! A few weeks ago my eldest son was outside in daylight (3:00pm) and saw a coyote in the back with a chicken in its mouth. By the time he got back there it was gone and had got away with two of our chickens. Of course two of our friendly favorite chickens even though we love them all. Anyway, it was a bit misty that day and they have been free ranging for about 8 months without any problems. We locked them up for over a week and then decided to let them out again. Two days later I saw my girls running to the back patio and I knew something was wrong. Come to find out the coyotes were back and we were missing another two. Since then my husband and my brother-in-law have set up traps. The traps have been up for two weeks and we havent caught one yet. So, my husband went out to buy a crossbow.

Has anyone on this thread had any success catching them? Whats the best way without using a gun? Even though we live on five acres we are still surrounded by houses and we cant risk shooting them. My kids use to play in the back but we are afraid to have them out as well. The coyotes even get to the backyard from the front on our cul-de-sac where the kids ride their bikes and there is an elementary school accross the street! We have labradors that we kennel at night and they arent afraid to go right past them. I want them gone!

The only good thing that has come out of this is that I get to order new chicks without upsetting my husband ;)

Angelwhee-first of all, I am sorry about your chickens! I lost 9 back in October to coyotes. :( I live in Wisconsin, so I can only tell you what trapping laws are like here. My significant other traps them during the cable restraint trapping season. He does A LOT of work setting things up, tracking them, etc. It takes a long time to get things ready in time for the season to be open. WI has cable restraint trapping open from Dec. 1 (I think, but don't quote me on that!) until Feb. 15. Trapping IS NOT EASY! Coyotes are extremely smart-seriously! They also remember where the easy food is. Last year, my S.O. trapped 12 off our driveway, which is 1/4 mile long from the highway and goes back in to the woods/swamp quite a ways past our home. This year he has gotten probably about 6-8 in our area. There are so many coyotes up here in Door County he has other land owners calling him every year to offer their land for him to trap on. We are allowed to shoot coyotes on our own land-but that isn't simple either! Who walks around with a loaded shotgun all the time? And it isn't like they make a habit of strolling thru your back yard! There are also hawks and raccoons and fishers. In other words, my Girls are in constant danger. I will absolutely tell you this-the coyotes will keep coming back. I'm hoping my S.O. will finally put the fence around the Girls' house back up, but that won't be until Spring, and I hate the thought of them being confined. I am hoping that after 2 straight years of a somewhat successful trapping season, the coyotes will stay away for the most part. My Girls have become VERY cautious. We have a lot of cedar trees on our land, and they gather in there a lot when they come out. What a joy it is to see them free ranging and so excited to see me! But, also, how AWFUL to have lost 9! I know, I haven't helped you with the trapping issues, but it would probably be in your Girls' best interest to keep them locked up or enclosed until you can figure out how to best handle this problem. At the risk of sounding redundant, the dang coyotes WILL keep coming back! I hope you find a solution, Angelwhee.

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
I just loss my first hen to a fox Monday. Its a horrible feeling. Glad you have a gun and ammo. I am waiting to pass my background check Its been 5-6 days already blah and then I need to find some ammo everyone is out. If I were you I would bate the coyotes put the food somewhere you can see it and wait them out. I would shoot them all they will never stop coming back. Since you so have small children around (as do I) its not just about your chickens and dog anymore. You have to protect your animals and your family. I trapped the fox that killed my bird (my friend was suppose to come over and shoot it for me but never showed up) My husband made me let it go. I thought we would get a couple days before the fox came back but nope it was out there a hour last and I found fox tracks everywhere in the fresh snow. Dont let your chickens out till you solve the coyote problem they will wait it out figure out your schedule and wait till you are busy with something in the house to attack again. I cant even relocate the foxes I trap here Wildlife Officers told me to shoot it. I would call a Wildlife Officer in your area see what they say but seriously bait and shoot hope all goes well and there are no more attacks keep the little one close coyotes are not above snatching children.

Back
Top Bottom