Coyotes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SteeleFarms, Jan 18, 2012.

1. SteeleFarms

SteeleFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    we are buying an 8 acre property that is already fenced (needs a little more securing) in an area that has a VERY high coyote population. Im thinking of allowing my 130# gaurd dog have the run of the place (as long as he dosent mess with the birds).

Do you think he will be enough to keep the coyotes at bay?
    we have a total of 6 dogs.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    First [​IMG]

I would still have a Fort Knox enclosed and sealed coop and run for the birds at night and for when you are gone. We have a Great Pyr on 4 acres and she tends to keep everyone out, including foxes, coyotes and wild dogs. However, there are still other smaller animals that can get into a coop (opossums, racoons, etc) that can get around a dog by climbing.

So I depend on my large dog for large predators, and I have a safe, fully enclosed and lockable (racoons can open most latches) coop and run for the birds at night.

Also I free range for part of the day - my dog does seem to reduce the predatory bird issue. My rooster sends the alarm as well. But it was a year before I felt my birds were safe with the dog. She kept trying to 'move' them to safer areas and was a bit rough. Now she only barks at them if they get too close to the fence.

YMMV

3. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Coyotes are the principal predators around here, too. We have an 8' chain link fence around the homesite, which has kept them out.

4. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    coyotes were a problem here but the farmers got a bounty on them now our biggest problem is stray dogs.

5. SteeleFarms

SteeleFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    well im actually worried more about coyotes than raccoons, sounds odd i know, but our Coonhounds will be sure to alert us of any raccoons on the place, and heaven forbid they catch it on the ground [​IMG] :)

6. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    I totally agree with chickenerd, the dogs (as long as trusted with the birds) should be a very good deterrent against predators during the day while free ranging ( I wish I had that, but my dog would kill my birds), and at night make sure they are enclosed in a nice predator proof coop...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by