@#$&*@% coyotes!

Jmpeters

Songster
10 Years
Aug 6, 2012
central il
Woke up to an empty pen. Last 2 duckies gone. Coons got my first bunch and they got what was coming to them. Now the coyotes picked the wrong house to eat at. Im done messing with predators. They're all going down! Clever lil $hits I give them that. Jump from hay bale to wood pile to top of duck house then down onto my filter box to my duckies. But now im livid and those coyotes time has come.

Sorry to hear JM, predators can be quite a problem at times. I'm glad I have a decent dog and a upcoming pup to take care of most; now the issue is just neighborhood dogs they think are their friends and never alert me. I decided awhile back though I was tired of being nice with them too, I don't want to kill dogs but I've given the owners plenty of chances and the last time I told them I lost some birds to their dog all they said was "Okay".

I usually still fire a warning shot with the BB gun, just to send them home if possible and they haven't been back for some time now. But if need be, I've got other things to use.

God bless,
Daniel.

Sorry you've had so many losses. Is there any way to reinforce your pen so these predators can't get in? There's always going to be something or other trying to get in and if there's a way they'll find it.

I'm sorry. That really is too bad. It's hard with predators, you respect the fact they need a meal but cannot condone them using our animals to gain it.

I would definitely look into altering your housing now that you know what they are capable of and sadly, they know there is a food source.

Last edited:
Oh, so sorry!
hit.gif

I have had issues with coons and weasels so I know how frustrating it can be, broke my heart when they killed my 2 ducklings
barnie.gif

I'm sorry. I've lost birds to hawks, coyotes but mostly 1 particular neighbor's dogs.

The only thing that will help is secure housing/fencing. If there are some now, there will be more later, even if you eliminate these. I would say to certainly do what you can to eliminate the coyote but unless you tighten up your coop, something else will come again at some point.

I had a dog kill 2 of my chickens yesterday morning. It got off our property before I could get to it, gun in hand. It came back this morning with a friend. I then realized that they are the same dogs that killed a few of my chickens a few months ago. Talked to owner then. Filed a report with the sheriff now. I had the option of having a warrant sworn on the owner but chose not to. I hope an official warning will make them take care of it. I have 1 year to change my mind about the warrant.

I'm sorry. I've lost birds to hawks, coyotes but mostly 1 particular neighbor's dogs.

The only thing that will help is secure housing/fencing. If there are some now, there will be more later, even if you eliminate these. I would say to certainly do what you can to eliminate the coyote but unless you tighten up your coop, something else will come again at some point.

I had a dog kill 2 of my chickens yesterday morning. It got off our property before I could get to it, gun in hand. It came back this morning with a friend. I then realized that they are the same dogs that killed a few of my chickens a few months ago. Talked to owner then. Filed a report with the sheriff now. I had the option of having a warrant sworn on the owner but chose not to. I hope an official warning will make them take care of it. I have 1 year to change my mind about the warrant.

wow, glad you were able to take action!

Thanks. All my neighbors have chickens so there dogs arent a problem here. After the coons I turned my duck pen into a prison. Had some firewood dropped off and stacked it a cpl feet from the duckhouse. Stupid me. I ordered some cheap car door actuators and motion sensors. Gonna try to jerry rig the sensors to the actuators to fire off a blank shotgun shell. Hopefully the actuator is strong enough to set off the sshotgun shell.

Sorry to hear bout your all your loses. Im not mesding around anymore. My kids are crying bout the ducks getting eaten. I already planned on getting more in march. But I will have motion sensors hooked to lights and blank shells so if anything comes close to the pen hopefully it gets scared off. If not, im running an electric fence around the top and bottom of the fence. Its time for war. Lol

Good luck to you. Noise, light and changes. If you have dogs yourself, I'd walk them around the coop and try to get them to mark their territory there. I have 4 small dogs and I clip their fur myself and periodically take the trimmings and place the fur out around the perimeter. I don't know if it helps but its free and the chickens love watching me drop this colorful soft stuff :).

Our coyotes here are VERY timid. I saw one in the pasture about 200 yards out and it saw me and took off. We had a coyote come up twice from the front of the house during the day a few months back. I got a shot off at it both times but they are quick buggers. My only problems have been when the birds were ranging in the pasture (until yesterday) so they don't go out there anymore.

Back
Top Bottom