Crème legbar roo x French maran hens

Bigcountry69

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2021
So we just hatched our first F1 olive eggers from our crème legbar roo and his French maran hens. We have copper maran, Wheaton and plain black maran hens. Noticed that the black babies that hatched have a large white spot on their head. My question is, would these babies be sex linked since the legbar has barring? Not exactly sure I totally get the sex linked thing with barring, but I am curious if this is the case. Thanks!

So we just hatched our first F1 olive eggers from our crème legbar roo and his French maran hens. We have copper maran, Wheaton and plain black maran hens. Noticed that the black babies that hatched have a large white spot on their head. My question is, would these babies be sex linked since the legbar has barring? Not exactly sure I totally get the sex linked thing with barring, but I am curious if this is the case. Thanks!
@NatJ @nicalandia

My question is, would these babies be sex linked since the legbar has barring? Not exactly sure I totally get the sex linked thing with barring, but I am curious if this is the case.

When the father has barring (Legbar), then all chicks have barring.*

To get sexlinks, you need a barred mother and not-barred father. Then the sons get barring from their mother, and the daughters do not (because of the way chicken sex chromosomes work: females are ZW and males are ZZ, and barring is on the Z chromosome.)

*exception: if the father has only one copy of the barring gene-- like a Black Sexlink male-- then half of his chicks will be barred and half will not be barred. But even in that case, the barred chicks will be of both genders. Any Legbar rooster should have two copies of the barring gene, so this would not affect the original question. I'm just putting it here for anyone else reading the thread who might have a different barred male.

When the father has barring (Legbar), then all chicks have barring.*

To get sexlinks, you need a barred mother and not-barred father. Then the sons get barring from their mother, and the daughters do not (because of the way chicken sex chromosomes work: females are ZW and males are ZZ, and barring is on the Z chromosome.)

*exception: if the father has only one copy of the barring gene-- like a Black Sexlink male-- then half of his chicks will be barred and half will not be barred. But even in that case, the barred chicks will be of both genders. Any Legbar rooster should have two copies of the barring gene, so this would not affect the original question. I'm just putting it here for anyone else reading the thread who might have a different barred male.
Thanks for the info. Good info on how barring works. We have 4 light colored chicks and 3 very dark chicks. It will be interesting to see how these turn out

Back
Top Bottom