Crack on beak

gar1967

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2015
Northeastern Ontario
This little duckling is 3 days old. It was born with this dark mark on top of its beak. Another one has a smaller one.
Now it looks and feels cracked. Doesn't seem to be bothersome.
DSCF6063.JPG
But, I'm just worried will it heal, what can I do, and will it get infected?
And do you think the shell might have cut it's beak during hatching?

Attachments

• DSCF6064.JPG
    DSCF6064.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 2
Someone on here recently posted about a duckling that ripped its bill apart hatching so it is possible although I have never seen it happen. Thankfully bill injuries tend to heal easily. I agree with the above make sure they always have deep water so they can keep their bills clean and as long as it continues to heal and not progress I would t worry to much.

Someone on here recently posted about a duckling that ripped its bill apart hatching so it is possible although I have never seen it happen. Thankfully bill injuries tend to heal easily. I agree with the above make sure they always have deep water so they can keep their bills clean and as long as it continues to heal and not progress I would t worry to much.
Thank you!

I haven't see that before.

Best just to give the little fluffy deep water to dunk the head and keep it clean itself.

I don't think you need to do anything further at this stage. Injured bills can look awful but heal perfectly as bills are made of keratin that is constantly being renewed, like our nails are
Ok. Animals are tough, I'm sure it will heal on its own. Thank you for your help :)

Ok, thanks!

I wouldn't worry just yet. Ducks are great healers. I have one in the egg that's very shy about coming out and I can shed she's cracked her bean some. Started to peel her out since she 2 days behind all the others, but oops blood. Just keep the little guys water very clean and I think it'll be fine in a week

Back
Top Bottom