Ducks beak faded to pale colour

Lauren84

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
Essex, England
Hello,
My 6 month old Indian Runner Custard’s beak has become very pale over the last few weeks. It used to be a really bright orange colour, now its almost white at the end, she also has some dark spots that have come up on her beak.

Custard has started laying over the past few months and is given breeders feed, rooster booster and oyster shells ( as well as veggies). I was not sure if this change in her beak colour is normal and perhaps due to the colder weather we have in England currently or her maturing and just due to genes. I just wanted to check if anyone else has had a similar experience to this and what the cause might be?

I’ve attached pictures of Custards beak from a few months ago vs more recently for comparison to show you the difference.

Attachments

• 66F84874-DC1D-40F6-A942-22EFB8308E1E.jpeg
    66F84874-DC1D-40F6-A942-22EFB8308E1E.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 3AA8C863-21AB-47DA-926E-9511DF684F24.jpeg
    3AA8C863-21AB-47DA-926E-9511DF684F24.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 9
Hello,
My 6 month old Indian Runner Custard’s beak has become very pale over the last few weeks. It used to be a really bright orange colour, now its almost white at the end, she also has some dark spots that have come up on her beak.

Custard has started laying over the past few months and is given breeders feed, rooster booster and oyster shells ( as well as veggies). I was not sure if this change in her beak colour is normal and perhaps due to the colder weather we have in England currently or her maturing and just due to genes. I just wanted to check if anyone else has had a similar experience to this and what the cause might be?

I’ve attached pictures of Custards beak from a few months ago vs more recently for comparison to show you the difference.
My son's female pekins' beaks go pale each summer. I was really worried they were expending so much energy laying that they were not getting enough nutrition to their beaks. I had them on Rooster Booster in their water along with extra fresh green veggies--they love kale and peas--but their beaks remained pale until they stop laying in the fall. The color comes back over the winter and they hit spring with beaks as deep orange yellow as the drake's beak. Then the females' beaks progressively fade over the next laying season. It's just what happens!

Back
Top Bottom