cracked an egg...

onthespot

Deluxe Dozens
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Riverside/Norco, CA
I was candling eggs that were due to hatch under a broodie and accidently cracked one that had just barely pipped. I couldn't put it under her like that, as it was partly smashed, so I took it home and really slowly eased it out of the shell. It didn't bleed, so i kept going really slowly and managed to get it out without causing a bleed. The yolk was almost absorbed, but the chick was really weak. I put it in a paper towel and set it under a light to warm and dry off, and got side tracked washing some dishes and forgot about it. Crum! I ran back to check on it and it was over heated and almost lifeless... I felt so bad, I blew on it gently to lower its body temp as quick as I could, and it started to peep a tiny bit, but was totally limp. I put it in the brooder box and it just scrambled its legs, stretching them out in front of its head, flipping on its back every few mintes and just lying there. Well, if I could have put it back in the shell, I would have, but that was out of the question, so I went and got an old sock out of the rag bag and cut the toe off of it and snapped a dog leash to it and hung it from some wire mesh laid across the top of the brooder box. It was snug and happy and I could shift it closer or farther from the light really easy, and flip it around to the other side, just by turning the leash over where it hung over the side. It scrambled and was really unhappy lying loose in the box, but when I put it in the sock and put it on the ground, it was unhappy and kept struggling every time it made contact with the floor. As soon as I put it in the pouch and hung it up in a nice comfort zone, heat wise, it went to sleep and this morning it "hatched" itself by tumbling out of the sock and was able to waddle around and stay upright, and get itself back upright if it tumbled to its side or back. It is acting mostly normal right now... just wanted to share my innovation and experience in case it might save one chick some day. Preemies don't like to lie on the floor. I think it is too hard for them. Anyhow, here's a picture of the sock toe sling... don't laugh...

sockpouch.jpg

it is a chick from a black marans and it has feathered feet, which means my copper black made quick work when he slipped past me into that run. It is good my other BBS marans are all clean legged so I will be able to know the ones that are mixed lines. It is mixed line black clean legged x copper black feather legged. Wish I could say "It's a (fill in the blank) pure lines!!) but I can't, not on this one... Oh well, still, it's a chick and deserved a best chance as much as any other chick.

Hooray! You have just reinforced my faith in humans!

A little bit of a complaint here- so often I see folks posting screams for help, and of course, we all try to assist. But sometimes, I want to say, what you NEED to do is get off that computer and go figure out how to handle this situation!
barnie.gif

And onthespot, that is what you did and I think it's WONDERFUL!
clap.gif

Good luck to the baby, and kudos to you for a quick-thinking, clever and resourceful solution!

You need to give yourself and big pat on the back for being so resourceful. Great job. Keep us apprised on its progress.

Thanks, he's doing better now. I had to really look to tell him from the other one that hatched normally this morning. Another hatched this afternoon and for now I can tell the difference, but tomorrow I will have to look at the toes, which the last one had black toes. The other two I'm hoping I can't tell apart tomorrow.

Nice rig you hooked up for that little chick. I think some of the most creative solutions come about when we must act immediately with what we have on hand. Best of luck to this little guy, sounds like he is doing well.

Quote:
it is such a relief to hear people say that!!! Nobody seems to care, a lot of people cull them if they dont come out JUST how they want!! Its still a life and should still be treated just as nicely as any other chick!! It has no choice weather its "pure" or not!! poor little baby

Back
Top Bottom