Cracked egg in incubator. What should I do ?

Here is the flip side. I read a post once and thought it decidedly male due to verbage and looked at profile to find female. Never can tell. We assume things through preconceived ideas and often can be pleasantly surprised to the contrary.

I found that with rabbits too. When I was breeding rabbits I was dealing mostly with women. With chickens it has been about 50/50.

Really haven’t eaten a rabbit since my father hunted one for dinner and told me it was chicken. Raising for meat somehow just seems wrong to me. I did feel the taste is a little bit more gamey than chicken.

I found that with rabbits too. When I was breeding rabbits I was dealing mostly with women. With chickens it has been about 50/50.
I have people assume I'm male because I have my flock rooster as my avatar.

Really haven’t eaten a rabbit since my father hunted one for dinner and told me it was chicken. Raising for meat somehow just seems wrong to me. I did feel the taste is a little bit more gamey than chicken.
I understand that a lot of people can't raise animals for meat, but sometimes it is a necessity.

I breed my birds and, as usually happens, I get about 50% males. I tried selling off my cockerels, but in my area, unless it is a really rare, very desirable breed, you can't give them way unless you are selling a breeding group. I was very happy this summer to sell my VERY well behaved 1.5 year old hatchery Buff to someone who had inherited a flock of Buff hens from a relative that died. I was getting out of Buffs and switching to a different breed. I can't afford to feed all the stock I hatch past a certain point. I can sell hens/pullets or keep them as egg layers, but I would rather give the cockerels, and the occasional mean hen/pullet, the best life I can until they get to a good size for eating and send them to freezer camp in as humane a way as I can.

I have people assume I'm male because I have my flock rooster as my avatar.

I understand that a lot of people can't raise animals for meat, but sometimes it is a necessity.

I breed my birds and, as usually happens, I get about 50% males. I tried selling off my cockerels, but in my area, unless it is a really rare, very desirable breed, you can't give them way unless you are selling a breeding group. I was very happy this summer to sell my VERY well behaved 1.5 year old hatchery Buff to someone who had inherited a flock of Buff hens from a relative that died. I was getting out of Buffs and switching to a different breed. I can't afford to feed all the stock I hatch past a certain point. I can sell hens/pullets or keep them as egg layers, but I would rather give the cockerels, and the occasional mean hen/pullet, the best life I can until they get to a good size for eating and send them to freezer camp in as humane a way as I can.

My husband and I discussed the broiler chicken possibility just for our own table but decided after viewing procedures probably not the culling to table type. I’m happy to use eggs as my protein.

My husband and I discussed the broiler chicken possibility just for our own table but decided after viewing procedures probably not the culling to table type. I’m happy to use eggs as my protein.
If you are lucky, you may be able to find someone near you that can handle the processing. But I had a hard time finding someone to do 21 birds for me recently. I would normally do them myself, but I can't handle the smells while I'm pregnant.

A24D880C-D946-4CA8-93ED-62028A45B40D.gif
Yep, let us know how the hatch goes and if repaired egg how that went.

Back
Top Bottom