1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cracked egg in the bator ***It's gone now, but more questions***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have an egg that has a piece of shell broken off. The membrane is intact, but should I toss it?

When I candled it, I can see the crack on the pointy end. When I tip it to the chipped part, I see what looks like bubbles inside around the yolk.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2009
  2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    personally I would toss it. I had my first cracked egg go bad this last hatch. They smell was horrible and the mess. When I went to take it out it broke in the paper towel uck Then I had to clean up the mess as best I could I would toss it before it turns bad.

3. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    what day are your eggs on?
    Is it too soon for the egg to be pipped?
    If it is not a pipped egg, you may need to toss it. Since eggs are porous, all kinds of things can get in through the shell such as bacteria. Especially when there is a crack or chip. A cracked or chipped egg may also have trouble with air exchange and moisture, as well as bacteria.

If you candled the egg and it looks different from the others, it may also have already died. [​IMG]

If it has died, definately toss it.

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I'm on Day 4. It chipped when I pulled it out of the turner.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Sometimes people melt wax on the crack. I've seen a couple of threads where it has worked and some where it hasn't. I would try the wax if it was an especially desirable egg and keep a really close eye on it. If it's a run-of-the-mill kind of egg I'd just toss it. Good luck witht the rest of your hatch!

6. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I too have heard about the wax to close the crack. It is worth a shot. Then, candle again around day 8 or 9. If you don't see anything by then when you candle, toss it.

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Surgery performed and wax added. [​IMG] And my DH says I have too many candles. [​IMG]

It's a good thing I checked cuz when I pulled it out, it was weeping more.

8. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    ewww, if it's weeping, toss it before it explodes. I once had one explode in my face, that was nasty.

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Ditto. If it's weeping it's beyond repair and probably going toxic. [​IMG]

Keep us updated on the rest of them. I LOVE hatching threads!!! [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Alright, I removed it. Common sense told me to get rid of it, but it's so hard to actually take it out.

I opened the egg as I would have always wondered if I got rid of one that could make it. It didn't smell but there were a lot of bubbles inside. I guess from air getting in? It was developing, but there were also some brown stuff floating around in the egg whites. Do meat spots float in the whites?

Have you ever seen bubbles in your eggs that didn't make it? Was it going bad anyway, and I just caught it early?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by