Cracked egg on hatch day

Wagnit09

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
I have a broody hen who's been doing great sitting on the eggs. Yesterday, 4 chicks hatched but I had to remove the chicks because mama was pecking them (2 didn't make it and I'm not sure if the 3rd will survive). One more pipped and was zipping its shell. Came out this morning to check on progress. I have a sticky chick...but the is another thing for which I'll need to deal.

Unfortunately, mama protested me checking on baby and cracked one of her other eggs. It hadn't pipped yet, the crack is on the pointed end, and there was a little bit of blood. The crack is pretty large; membrane is broken.

My question is, what do I do now? Do I let it be and see if baby will come out on its own? How do I know if I need to help baby?

I'm so sorry your broody hen is making the hatch so difficult! If you have an incubator that would be the easiest way to assist at this point since she's going after them that aggressively. If you don't have an incubator then you can either watch really closely and take the chicks as soon as they hatch or try to MacGyver an "incubator" since they're so close to hatching. I don't know how you could effectively assist the cracked shell chick without an incubator of some kind if your broody isn't allowing you to actively look under her...

I'm so sorry your broody hen is making the hatch so difficult! If you have an incubator that would be the easiest way to assist at this point since she's going after them that aggressively. If you don't have an incubator then you can either watch really closely and take the chicks as soon as they hatch or try to MacGyver an "incubator" since they're so close to hatching. I don't know how you could effectively assist the cracked shell chick without an incubator of some kind if your broody isn't allowing you to actively look under her...

Thanks for replying. I tried to MacGyver an incubator but between the kids and cat it was temporary at best. I just ran to TSC and bought one. Waiting for it to come up to temp, etc.

Trouble sounds like you possibly interfered too much during hatching and she probably was a first time Broody I'm thinking too. Definitely I never bother my Hens and wait till they bring babies off the nest in a couple of days.
Hens know what to do and human interference can cause problems.

Trouble sounds like you possibly interfered too much during hatching and she probably was a first time Broody I'm thinking too. Definitely I never bother my Hens and wait till they bring babies off the nest in a couple of days.
Hens know what to do and human interference can cause problems.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this crack was probably due to interference. I really wish I could have let her be. But since she was already killing the chicks, I needed to grab the littles before she pecked them.

Awesome broody. Terrible mama.

I have an incubator set up now; going to move over the rest of the eggs. I have a friend set up for a brooding hen so I'll probably give her this one. She might have better luck without a rooster nearby.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this crack was probably due to interference. I really wish I could have let her be. But since she was already killing the chicks, I needed to grab the littles before she pecked them.

I have an incubator set up now; going to move over the rest of the eggs. I have a friend set up for a brooding hen so I'll probably give her this one. She might have better luck without a rooster nearby.
Well if still in the mix of the flock others possibly were killing them or she was stressed..

I would have done the very same and protected the chicks! :hugs Some broodies just aren't good moms and once they prove to be bad broodies I don't give them a second chance personally. I'm all up in my broody hen's business while they're on eggs and it hasn't caused any issues so far. lol

Back
Top Bottom