Cracked egg to check fertility.. please help!

I ordered some duckling eggs off of eBay, so far none of the eggs appear to be fertile, I have not yet decided to stop incubation even though I feel it's a wasted effort. I did crack one of the eggs open today to confirm my suspicions and saw a white ring on the yolk, which only confused me more! Was this a fertile egg gone bad? Please someone weigh in!!!

That was definitely a fertile egg.. the large ring was the enlarged blastoderm...

The egg was cracked, nothing was coming out of it...

If they don't seep, cracked eggs can develop and hatch just fine...

Wait til at least day 7 or day 10 (from the start of the day you placed them in the incubator) before candling again to check for development... I've found some shipped eggs develop slower than non-shipped and they can also develop at slightly different rates... just be patient, incubating takes time... :)

I was told by a breeder that the egg could explode in my incubator so to toss it. I would have definitely hung on to it had I known. I don't plan on stopping incubation on the other eggs, hopefully they will develop. I appreciate your advice so much! Thank you!!

I've hatched many a cracked egg, as long as it doesn't leak fluid or stink, it's ok...

If bacteria gets into the egg, there is a chance of it exploding in the bator... BUT it will stink to high heaven way before it explodes, lol... keep your nose aware and you shouldn't have any worries, and trust me, you WILL smell it if it stinks...

I ordered some duckling eggs off of eBay, so far none of the eggs appear to be fertile, I have not yet decided to stop incubation even though I feel it's a wasted effort. I did crack one of the eggs open today to confirm my suspicions and saw a white ring on the yolk, which only confused me more! Was this a fertile egg gone bad? Please someone weigh in!!!

The egg was cracked, nothing was coming out of it...

Are we to understand you got the egg "cracked"; lower picture? The top picture is that same egg you cracked open AFTER it had be incubating for couple/several days? As everyone is saying the "cracked" egg (not seeping or anything) was ok, worst have been incubated when sealed. The picture of the yolk egg, looks fertile.

Eggs are candled at 7 days, 14 days, 18 days before lock down. Don't crack anymore open, candle them from these two pictures I'm thinking your eggs are fertile.

I've hatched many a cracked egg, as long as it doesn't leak fluid or stink, it's ok...

If bacteria gets into the egg, there is a chance of it exploding in the bator... BUT it will stink to high heaven way before it explodes, lol... keep your nose aware and you shouldn't have any worries, and trust me, you WILL smell it if it stinks...

This is VERY TRUE! I know cause I've done geese eggs, it stinks before the explosion. I missed one once...never missed any again, that was not fun cleaning :(

In my defense I was absolutely terrified that the egg would continue to expand and leak out into the motor of my incubator and then further harm the other eggs. I'm absolutely heartbroken over the thought that this egg was fertile and could of had a chance but wasn't willing to have something happen to the others :(
This is my first time incubating eggs ever. All the ducks I currently have are rescue ducks that I took in and have raised.

In my defense I was absolutely terrified that the egg would continue to expand and leak out into the motor of my incubator and then further harm the other eggs. I'm absolutely heartbroken over the thought that this egg was fertile and could of had a chance but wasn't willing to have something happen to the others
sad.png

This is my first time incubating eggs ever. All the ducks I currently have are rescue ducks that I took in and have raised.

We hear you and have all gone through a PANIC at one time or the other. I've had an egg rot in the incubator & explode, it was a stinky mess! Don't go beating yourself up, it's a learning experience, the Breeder should have been more helpful. Good luck with the rest & if you have any questions, BYC members are the greatest! Thank you all for all the help & advice I've had over the years

In my defense I was absolutely terrified that the egg would continue to expand and leak out into the motor of my incubator and then further harm the other eggs. I'm absolutely heartbroken over the thought that this egg was fertile and could of had a chance but wasn't willing to have something happen to the others :(

Well, you know for next time now... :hugs

Good luck with the rest!!

Back
Top Bottom